VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sun Sounds of Arizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sun Sounds of Arizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:20:52 -0700
I have enjoyed reading this topic as it takes me back to other days.  I am a
life long broadcaster and have worked with cassette, reel-to-reel,
cartridge, eight track, and digital audio tapes.  All of these types of tape
media have one big thing in common.  They require lubrication to run
smoothly.  The lubrication is applied to the tape itself when it is
manufactured.  Hi end quality tape has lots of lubrication, and cheap low
end tape often has little or none.  When tapes age, they dry out.  This
results in a number of problems.  The most significant result is the
lubrication is not as good, or it may even be totally rubbed off.  Often an
old dry tape will begin to shed the oxide which holds the magnetic
recording.  When this happens, it results in excessive drop outs, otherwise
degraded sound, and very dirty heads, capstan and pinch roller. The
squealing is mostly from the lack of lubrication.  The tape just cannot pass
smoothly over the heads.  The larger the heads, like the erase head on a
reel-to-reel, the worse the problem.  Cassette tapes have one additional
problem.  They have a pressure pad inside the case directly behind the part
of the shell that passes a tape across the play/record head.  If this
pressure pad is in decent condition, the tape sounds better.  However, if
the pressure pad has become worn or is missing altogether, the sound will be
awful, and squealing may also result.  If the heads are dirty, they usually
don't squeal, they just cause degraded sound.  If the pinch roller (rubber
wheel) is really dirty, the tape may skew or slip which will cause bad
sound.  This doesn't normally cause tape squeal either.  As one person
already wrote, a very worn tape head can cause squealing because the tape
doesn't travel smoothly over the misshapen head any longer.  If the tape is
also old and dry, then it's just worse.

Unfortunately, there really aren't any great remedies.  Cleaning the heads
can help sometimes. Though Tom is correct that over a long period of time
using alcohol on the pinch roller can glaze or degrade it, in practice, this
is not likely for the rare cleaning a consumer does.  I wouldn't worry about
it.  If the tape is the actual problem, instead of the heads, then you are
basically out of luck.  You used to be able to buy a silicon spray which
could be used on heads to help an old tape get one or two more plays so it
could be copied to another medium, but I don't think the stuff is around
anymore.  Radio Shack would be where I'd look.  Baking the tape is an
option, but this is a tricky operation.  Be aware that tape is highly
flammable.  If you catch it on fire, you will have a much worse problem than
squealing tape.  Another remedy I've heard, that was not mentioned on this
list, is to take a sponge, make sure it is only damp, and not dripping, and
put the sponge and the tape in a plastic bag over night.  The moisture is
sometimes enough to get just a bit more out of the remaining lubrication to
get one more play.

If it is a NLS recorder, and it squeals on all tapes, then get it replaced.
This is an easy process.   If the tape itself is bad, mark it in the
container so the library can replace it with a new recording.  If it is your
personal tape, and none of the above works, or is worth the effort, just
throw it out.  No medium lasts forever.

Bill