VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:57:24 -0500
From: "Davanzo Luca" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 9:15 AM
Subject: java me accessibility

As probably many of you know, recently has been put on the market a product
called TALKS
(www.talks.de): essentially  it's a kind of screen reader that allows blind
people to access almost all functionality of a compatible  cell phone (for
example Nokia's series 60, communicator, some siemens and Ericsson models).
This product is a true screen reader  not an ad-hoc blind interface, and in
fact I know it works  reasonably well  (some times  very well) with some
user-downloaded applications without needing any custom configuration.

I wonder if anyone  has the opportunity  to try  some very simple java me
applications  (not games of course!)  using talks with a compatible phone
(almost the supported models support  java me MIDP applications).
My idea  is that if  a phone uses native APIs to render user interface
written in Java (as was with old version of AWT in windows) perhaps some
j2Me applications could be written to be accessible.
Unfortunately I haven't  a compatible phone to try on myself.

Any experiences or  ideas about this?