VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steve Hoad <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Hoad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2017 22:25:06 -0400
Recently my operating system was updated to Windows Creator from
Windows 10.  A couple of days before the major update, Microsoft sent
a small update, asked me to restart and with that done sent a
notification that said my Creator update would happen in a couple of
days and they would continue to do some minor fixes until my computer
was updated.  The day came, the Creator update happened and when I
restarted my sound was thin and tinny through my speakers and through
external speakers plugged into the headphone jack.  This was exactly
like the situation I had when I first bought the computer (a Toshiba
Satelite) and at that time, in Windows 7, the "equalizer" needed to be
changed. The process was inaccessible so my son did that for me.
This time I had noone available to help. After searching around in my
operating system and opening the settings for my sound card and
sounds, I could find no settings for the "equalizer". I did, however,
bookmark the page where I had found the fix way back in 2013. On
revisiting that site I found that I was looking in the right place but
that the settings available were completely different than what I had
now. Hmmmm.
I called the Microsoft Disability help line and talked about the
problem. The representative went to the same places I had and could
find no solution. Since I use my computer for a music player quite
often, I was frustrated and when a rollback to the previous settings
was suggested I accepted that this might be a fix.  It was not.
I then began to search through events and saw something that triggered
a memmory; when I had updated from Windows 7 to 10 I had the same
issue wich I had fixed by rolling the driver back. This tine, however,
I had no option for doing this. I then looked on the website of the
manufacturer for my sound card. There wasn't much helpful info there
but that site mentioned that my sound card could operate in tandem
with Intel high definition audio.  So I searched for drivers again.
I realized during updates Microsoft had downloaded new drivers at
least twice for my sound card.  I saw that during an update Windows
had
automatically updated a driver; in the Creator upgrade they had
downloaded another one. Apparently, neither driver was the right one,
they actually stripped away some of the control of my sound.  I
 found another one for Intel High Definition Audio and downloaded it.
That seems to have
fixed the issue. Now I'm wondering what other items may have been
updated with problematic drivers.  I'm having trouble keeping my
touchpad turned off since the upgrade/downgrade.  Any suggestions?  I
must also note that this was a very time consuming process...
--
 Steve Hoad

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]