VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Flor Lynch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Flor Lynch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 12:51:25 +0100
Hi,

Two comments:  I believe that it is better if possible to own something
outright rather than have to rent it, and yes, the overall costs wil
increase.  There's also a potentially increased risk to security as your
transaction details will be accessed, stored and updated more often.
Regarding Adobe and such, one would have thought that they would from
the outset have looked at the possibility of hacking, done it themselves
and introduced some safeguards if they believed them to be necessary,
rather than crying wolf after it has gone back to the wild.  Whereever
there is a barrier, somebody somewhere will try to surmount it, and I
suppose the software industry feel under an obligation to protect the
intellectual property of authors by any means they can, as well as
stopping those outside the loop from profiting.