VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ted Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ted Chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 20:32:39 -0700
Hi Lisa.  I highly doubt that the infected file that Norton removed was
something that was needed.  c:\program files is a folder on the computer
system, and unless something really big got in there, I cannot see why
Norton would delete the entire folder.  Still, you may want to look in "my
computer" (without the quotes) from your Desktop.  When the folder opens,
click on c:\, then use your up-and-down arrow keys to look for program
files.  Once you find that (and I suspect it's still there), click on
program files and a screen listing all of your programs will come up.  If
you haven't changed your icon settings to "list", you will need to use your
left and right arrows as well as your up-and-down arrows to make sure all of
the programs that you need are there.  I know this works with Windows
Millennium Edition (which I have), and if memory serves (I played with it
three months ago), the "my computer" icon is still on the desktop on systems
running Windows XP as well.  Next time to be on the safe side, you may want
to quarantine the file before deleting it to verify that the infected file
is one you don't need (though if a file has a virus, I would not enter it--I
would use the right mouse or right windows buttons and look at its
properties).  Good luck and take care.

Ted Chittenden