VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 11:20:19 -0700
>Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 14:21:02 -0700
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: Kelly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: AltaVista FreeAccess
>
>Hi All,
>
>AltaVista now has an advertiser-supported free internet access similar to
services like NetZero.  Complete requirements and a FAQ can be found at:

>http://microav.com/help/help.html
>
>To join the service you must visit
>
>http://www.microav.com/signup
>
>and complete a brief survey.  You are then instructed to download a small
(500K) program that is used to establish your connection and display ads on
your computer screen.

>Once connected you can use whatever internet applications you choose,
although AltaVista FreeAccess requires that Internet Explorer 4.0 or
greater be present on your system.

>As near as I could tell the advertising doesn't get in the way of using a
screen reader.  Part of the ads can actually be read with a screen reader,
although certain buttons for advanced services in the ad window couldn't be
located by JFW or Window-Eyes.

>If you are looking for a backup ISP, an account to use when travelling or
perhaps just to save a bit on your online fees, AltaVista FreeAccess might
be worth exploring.  With Netzero, which is available from

>http://www.netzero.net
>
>now offering complete POP and SMTP email services as well as free internet
access, that system is my first choice in the free internet category of ISP
though.