VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nan Hawthorne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2001 14:09:33 -0800
For your enjoyment.  Subscribe at www.eSightCareers.net

Nan Hawthorne, Content Developer
eSight Careers Network

eSight's NetWork News
Wednesday, October 31, 2001

Contents:

* Editor's Guide to This Issue:
   Showing Up

* For Job Seekers:
   It's Time We Showed Up: An Editorial

* Adaptive Technology in The Workplace:
   How to Make Sure an Adaptive Technology
   Team's Solutions Are Implemented

* November 7th Professional Development Seminar:
   New Concept in Hospitality Employment Training

* Turning our Experiences Inside Out:
   Working Out Sound Accommodations

* "Tell a Friend About eSight" Drawing
   for a Voice Mate by Parrot.

* November 15th Deadline for New Opportunity:
   Reviewing Web Sites for eSight

* For Entrepreneurs:
  Tips for Buying an Existing Business

* New Tool for Entrepreneurs:
   eSight Small Business Directory

* For Employers: Steps for Providing the Adaptive Tools
   Your New Employee Needs to Do the Job

* Our Search for eSight Model Employers:
   We Need Your Submission, Referral

* Good Luck, Edwin!

* Did You Know...?
   A New Tool for You

* Did You Know...
   How You Can Help a Friend or Colleague
   Use eSight to Its Fullest?

* About eSight's NetWork News

Summaries:

* Editor's Guide to This Issue:
   Showing Up

The new content on this week's eSightCareers.net shows
how crucial it is for each of us to become a true
participant in every aspect of our society instead of
just one of the "others."

Put what's new into context
at http://www.esight.org/index.cfm?x=397

* For Job Seekers:
   It's Time We Showed Up: An Editorial

Our local library's "ADA computer" has screen
magnification and speech output but no sound. Why,
after 11 years of ADA, aren't we further along with the
implementation of equal access to the tools so vital for
building our careers?

Show up
at http://www.esight.org/index.cfm?x=395

* Adaptive Technology in The Workplace:
   How to Make Sure an Adaptive Technology
   Team's Solutions Are Implemented

Here's what to do if your team has difficulty
implementing an adaptive technology solution.

It ain't over 'til it's over
at http://www.esight.org/index.cfm?x=97

* November 8th Professional Development Seminar:
   New Concept in Hospitality Employment Training

On Thursday, November 8, 2001, the National Statler Center
for Careers in Hospitality Service will address the topic
of "New Concept in Hospitality Employment Training" during
our first Professional Development Seminar of the 2001
fall season.

As a joint presentation of eSight Careers Network(tm)
and the Adaptive Solutions for Independence, this seminar
will be held from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the Angela
Perez Center at the YWCA, 610 Lexington Avenue, Room 903 A - B
(Southwest corner of 53rd Street and Lexington Avenue),
New York City.

To register for this free seminar, get travel directions
or request special accommodations, please contact Irene
Del Moral at (212) 766-6800, extension 110. You can also
register online at http://www.esightcareers.net.
Space is limited and registration is required.

The Statler Center provides disabled individuals with
the right tools for successful careers in the hospitality
industry. Graduates of the comprehensive program are
computer-literate, job-ready and equipped with a thorough
knowledge of industry standards. Assistance in completing
training applications will be available. Participants
are encouraged to bring their resumes.

Anyone unable to attend can still participate.
E-mail questions sent to [log in to unmask]
and received on or before Monday, November 5th, will be
presented during the question-and-answer portion of the
seminar, time permitting.

This seminar will be recorded and will be made available
on eSight Careers Network.

Upcoming seminars will include:

December 5, 2001 - Equality Staffing
Introduce yourself to this new placement service for
professionals with disabilities.

January 2002 - Per Scholes
Explore this certification and job placement program
for careers in technology.

* Turning our Experiences Inside Out:
   Working Out Sound Accommodations

Join eSightCareers.net members to discuss this new topic
in Turning our Experiences Inside Out:

What is the most effective way to work out an
accommodation plan with your new employer?

Here's how to join the conversation. If your browser
accepts cookies and you've logged in at least once at
http://www.eSightCareers.net, it's only two clicks away.
To participate:

1.  Select http://www.esight.org/index.cfm?x=298

2.  Select the link "My Experience: Working Out
     Sound Accommodations"

Please note: If your browser does not accept cookies,
you will not be able to view or post to this Dialogue
Board from this newsletter.

You are also welcome to e-mail your thoughts directly to
us at [log in to unmask] by selecting
Please put the words "My Experience:" in the subject line.

Also -- be sure to complete this week's questionnaire
about what topics you would like to discuss on Turning
our Experiences Inside Out. Select Members' Hub on the
Main Menu, then Turning our Experiences Inside Out and
then eSight Questionnaire: Which issue would you like
to discuss?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Liz Seger, Facilitator
Turning our Experiences Inside Out

* "Tell a Friend About eSight" Drawing
   for a Voice Mate by Parrot.

In recognition of eSight's first anniversary, Parrot
has made a donation of a Voice Mate for us to give away.
This gift has a retail value of approximately $259.00.
We thank Parrot for its generosity.

You are invited to take advantage of this opportunity
to win a Voice Mate by Parrot. All you need to do is
"Tell a Friend About eSight" between now and
December 15, 2001, to be eligible.

Each time a friend registers as an eSight member and
lists you as the person who referred him or her to eSight,
your name will be entered into a drawing to win a Voice
Mate by Parrot, which would be a great holiday gift for
you! You'll find more details about the Voice Mate by
Parrot at http://www.voice-assistant.com or by contacting:

* November 15th Deadline for New Opportunity:
   Reviewing Web Sites for eSight

eSight Careers Network is seeking an individual to review
web sites for usefulness, accessibility and navigability
under its internship program.

Qualifications include experience in navigating the Web
using a screen reader, knowledge of web site accessibility
issues, experience in using the Web for research and an
interest in career management.

If you're interested, please write a brief review of this
web site in terms of usefulness, accessibility and
navigation: http://www.nonprofitcareer.com/. E-mail it
with your resume to [log in to unmask] by
November 15, 2001.

* For Entrepreneurs:
  Tips for Buying an Existing Business

Buying an existing business is a quick way to start
working for yourself, but there are some pitfalls to avoid.
Get the pros and cons of such a step in these three
accessible articles.

Don't contract "buyer's remorse"
at http://www.esight.org/index.cfm?x=396

* New Tool for Entrepreneurs:
   eSight Small Business Directory

If you would like your small business to be included in
the eSight Small Business Directory and considered as an
eSight Model Entrepreneur, please answer the questions
on our online application.

You'll find the online application by selecting the link
to Entrepreneurial Junction from eSight's Main Menu. Then
click on the link "Add your business to the eSight Small
Business Directory."

* For Employers: Steps for Providing the Adaptive Tools
   Your New Employee Needs to Do the Job

Help your new employee who is blind or visually impaired
start contributing to your organization's continued
success right away by providing her with the right work
tools she needs to effectively do her job.

1, 2, 3, go!
at http://www.esight.org/index.cfm?x=394

* Our Search for eSight Model Employers:
   We Need Your Submission, Referral

Employers who successfully respond to our questionnaire
about their initiatives to recruit, hire, accommodate and
promote employees with disabilities will soon be included
in an exclusive, searchable eSight Careers Network database
available to eSight members.

If you're an employer, we need your submission so we can
learn about your successful initiative to include employees
with disabilities in your organization. If you're an
employee or job seeker, we need your referrals for
employers who have demonstrated outstanding inclusion
initiatives for employees with disabilities.

Employers can complete our online application form required
for consideration as an eSight Model Employer. Access the
form in eSight's Employer Connection at:
http://www.esight.org/index.cfm?PriorityCode=eme. Here
you will find "eSight Application Form: Are you an eSight
Model Employer?"

Job seekers and employees can submit company nominations
in e-mail directly to us at [log in to unmask]
or by selecting reply to this newsletter. Please include
the word "Nomination:" in the subject line of your e-mail
message.

* Good Luck, Edwin!

Edwin Montanez from eSight's Member Services Team will
be running in the New York Marathon this Sunday. You can
wish him good luck at [log in to unmask]

Do you have news you would like to share with eSight?
Send your good news, networking opportunities, job fair
announcements, promotions  etc., and we'll pass the word
via this newsletter.

* Did You Know...?
   A New Tool for You

"Did You Know...?" is a new tool for readers of eSight's
NetWork News. It is designed to help you use eSight
Careers Network's many features to optimize your career
search or other occupational plans. Every week we will
focus on a different tool and give you important tips
about how to use it to your best advantage.

* Did You Know...
   How You Can Help a Friend or Colleague
   Use eSight to Its Fullest?

You already know eSight is a great resource. You know
that your friends and colleagues can use it too. You know
that we are offering you an incentive to invite them to
join you as a member. But do you know how to help them get
the most out of their new eSight Careers Network membership?

Answer:  Make sure when your friends join eSight that he
or she subscribes to this newsletter too!

Why? So your friend will be up-to-date on what topics we
are exploring together every week. So your colleagues
can get involved in discussions of particular interest.
So these friends can find out about special services and
job announcements. And so your associates can read future
tips about using eSight Careers Network like this one!

How? Just let your friends know that when they sign up
and list you as the person who referred them that they
also sign up for this newsletter! After they click on
"Join eSight" and fill out the membership registration
form, they will be taken to the Main Menu. Tell them to
scroll down to and click on the link "Subscribe or
Unsubscribe to eSight Newsletter" and then leave the box
by "eSight's NetWork News" checked and click on "Submit."

It's that easy! And your friends will thank you for
sending them to a great tool!

Have a favorite eSight tool? We'd love to hear about it
and how you use it. Just write to Nan Hawthorne, editor,

* About eSight's NetWork News

You received this e-mail because you are a registered
member of eSight Careers Network(tm) or because it was
passed to you by a friend.

The asterisk character which precedes topics in this
newsletter allows you to jump to the next topic.

If your browser accepts cookies, you will now be able to
use the links in this newsletter to access eSight directly.

Please Note: You will need to login once at
http://www.eSightCareers.net to activate this feature.

When you use this feature, it is necessary to close the
window when you return to this e-mail newsletter to select
the next link. Failure to close the window will result
in your being logged on to eSight twice, and this will
result in an error message.

You may choose to deactivate this feature at any time by
following these steps to edit your personal information:

1. Go to eSight Careers Network
(http://www.eSightCareers.net)
2. Select link to Members' Hub from Main Menu
3. Select link to Edit Your Personal Information
4. Select link to Change Cookie Settings
(Do Not Remember My Password)
5. Check the box which says, "Do not store my password
in my computer"
6. Select button to Submit Changes

Please note: If you choose not to store your password,
you will still be able to read the articles. However, you
will have to log in to complete surveys, post to dialogue
boards and explore the related links attached to articles.

Should you ever wish to unsubscribe to this newsletter,
simply reply to this e-mail and put the word unsubscribe
in the subject line.

eSight's NetWork News staff

Jim Hasse, Senior Content Developer
Nan Hawthorne, Content Developer
Liz Seger, Facilitator
for Turning our Experiences Inside Out

eSight Careers Network(tm)
Where people who are visually impaired or physically disabled
build resources for managing their careers.
http://www.eSightCareers.net

Copyright (c) 2001 eSight Careers Network(tm). All rights reserved.