VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 19:27:33 -0500
DOS ROCKS!!!  If you or someone in your community or local vicug needs a
computer, below is info on how to get a 486 for free.  Add the free screen
reader JAWS available from http://www.hj.com and all one needs is some
free or inexpensive software and a speech synthesizer and a blind computer
user can go digital for a couple of hundred bucks.  yes it is old and
doesn't have all the latest features, but 486 machines can still run dos
very well.  Like it or not, dos can still rock.

kelly

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 17:53:45 -600
From: Jerry J. Haumberger <[log in to unmask]>

Dear folks!

Sorry if you get this message more than once (mailed to four
different lists), but I wanted to be sure to reach everyone.

An IS director approached me yesterday, explaining that she
would desperately like to find someone who would be willing
to just pay shipping and handling for dozens and dozens of
used computers in storage (mostly 486s, I believe -- I've
personally seen stacks of these) -- before they will be
forced to send them to the local landfill.  That would be
heartbreaking, indeed!  These computers come from a hospital
where they routinely discard obsolete machines in favor of
"modern" upgrades after two or so years of use.  This is a
non-profit hospital that is glad to offer to help with
charitable causes like this.

If you, or anyone else you know, would be interested in
these computers, just e-mail me with whatever address you
would like this IS director to contact (e-mail address,
phone number, whatever you feel comfortable to send)
-- to my e-mail address, please -- and I'll be delighted
to forward these to her and ask her to contact you as soon
as possible.

Thanks!

Jerry          *** delighted with PC DOS and WordStar ***

Net-Tamer V 1.11.2 - Registered

To unsubscribe from DOS-DISCUSS send a message to [log in to unmask] with
unsubscribe DOS-DISCUSS in the body of the message.
Also, trim this footer from any quoted replies.
More info can be found at;
http://www.softcon.com/archives/DOS-DISCUSS.html