VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Duane Farrar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Farrar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2018 19:43:28 -0400
Hi Dan,

You have exactly described my situation. I have JAWS 17 and have
installed both NVDA and Firefox so I could begin moving away from
Internet Explorer and perhaps also JAWS since the cost to upgrade JAWS
and renew my SMA would be $750.

I've been trying to download and install Chrome on my Windows desktop
PC. I thought I had Windows 7 installed, but now I'm not sure. Winver
says I have Version 6.1 Build 7601: Service Pack 1, which the dialog box
implies is Windows 7 Professional. The Chrome download web page says I
need Windows 7 64-bit. When I select the Download button, JAWS says
something about Windows 2000 and Windows XP not being supported, but I
get the usual User Account warning dialog and then the web page says
Thank You for downloading Chrome. However, when I go looking for a
downloaded program file in the usual places I cannot find it anywhere.
Thoughts, anyone?

As for NVDA, my initial reaction is that I very much dislike the open
source speech synthesizer that comes bundled with it. I am curious to
hear what others of you have done to improve the speech output. I am a
longtime JAWS user so I suppose I'm pretty used to the Eloquence
synthesizer, but I would be open to exploring another option.

Thanks,

Duane