VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dane Trethowan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:39:45 +1100
Greetings!

Yep couldnt' agree with you more.

I was testing one of these machines for some time and it amazed me just how
unstable and unreliable the machine was.

Secondly, the machine was based around an XT computer so therefore you
could only run DOS programs with it and even then you were limited.  For
example if the DOS program didn't write to the BIOS and you wanted to find
out what was happening all you could do was go into the 'VERTUAL SCREEN" (a
sort of review mode) and read the screen from that, no light bar tracking,
no monitoring for changes of any kind etc.

The other part of the Aria that really annoyed me was the terrible speech,
I'd like to know why Robotron didn't use the Eureka speech, far clearer.

Robotron, released a "BLACK BOX" that would allow a user of an Aria to
connect a standard typewriter-style keyboard to the machine but this "BLACK
BOX" had one very serious downside, it took up the serial port so forget
trying to connect to the internet with a modem for example and using a
standard computer keyboard.  Oh and seeing as I mentioned modems, forget
using modems above the speed of 14.4, the Aria doesn't support them
although it claims to.

Next the accessories for the Aria I thought to be extremely expensive, for
example $500.00 for an external floppy drive and the memory cards were not
exactly cheap.

I believe that a machine worth the amount of money it is should be far
better than it is.