VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 08:09:55 -0500
News Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Contact:
Leanne Hartman
Booths 277/278
Marriott Exhibit Hall

ALVA Introduces the ALVA MPOTM, Mobile Phone Organizer
First accessible integrated cellular phone and personal organizer on display
this week at CSUN in Los Angeles

Los Angeles, Calif. - March 19, 2003 - ALVA B.V., a leading provider of
assistive information technology for the blind and visually-impaired,
announced the ALVA MPO, Mobile Phone Organizer, the assistive technology
industry's first fully-integrated cellular phone and personal organizer.

The ALVA MPO offers all the key features traditional cellular phone and PDA
(personal digital assistant) users have come to expect, with additional
features incorporated for blind and visually impaired users.  With 20
braille cells, an 8-dot Braille keyboard, a high quality speech synthesizer,
and ALVA's Smart-ControlTM user interface, the MPO is unique in design and
functionality.

Other key features include:

* Fully accessible tri-band GSM cellular phone;
* Essential notetaker;
* SMS text messaging;
* Agenda planner;
* Alarm;
* Calculator.

Upcoming, product features will include email, Internet browser, GPS (Global
Positioning System), Daisy reader, and an MP3 player and will be released as
optional software upgrades in phases beginning in Q3.

While leading vendors of cellular phones and PDAs offer some of these
features in their current product line-ups, ALVA is the first manufacturer
to develop a device for handheld specifically for blind and visually
impaired users.  The ALVA MPO interface and features are based on research
into the needs of blind and visually impaired technology users.  ALVA's
nearly 20 years of experience working with this customer group provides an
unparalleled knowledge base for developing the MPO.

"The ALVA MPO represents a real break-through in mobile communication, data
access, and organization for our customers," said Eric Weldink, ALVA
president and CEO.  " It's so simple to use; if you can operate your CD
player and heat water in the microwave, you can use an MPO.  Sleek in design
and full-featured, the MPO provides blind and visually impaired users all
the benefits of a PDA and cell phone combined.  Our GSM antenna and
super-durable casing, designed solely for this product, are just two
examples of the kind of detailed engineering that went into the MPO.  As
veterans in this field, we really understand that our customers are
demanding more from the IT and telecommunication products they depend on and
we have the resources to meet their expectations."

The MPO has the familiar look and feel of ALVA's popular SatelliteTM series
of refreshable braille displays, with a special emphasis on portability and
durability.  The trademark purple ALVA MPO casing measures 9.4 inches long x
4.1 inches wide x 1.7 inches thick (240 x 105 x 45 mm) and weighs 1 lb. 9
oz. (700 g).  The slim MPO fits easily into a handbag, backpack, or
briefcase and features an attractive scratch-resistant finish.

"As soon as we heard the ALVA MPO product concept, we put in our request,"
said Chuck Cohen, president of C TECH, a distributor of low vision products
and adaptive technology for the blind, visually-impaired, and learning
disabled in New York and New Jersey.  "We've been in this industry for
almost 20 years and our clients have complained in the past about always
being left behind when it comes to new technology.  These are some of the
most sophisticated and productive technology users you could meet.  It's
fulfilling to me to see that ALVA has put real care into this design, that
it's not just another 'yeah, blind people can use it, too' product.  I am
really looking forward to my clients having such a remarkable product."

CSUN Attendees Get First Glimpse of MPO
Those attending this week's CSUN Conference on Technology and Persons with
Disabilities will get a chance to preview the ALVA MPO at the ALVA booths
277 and 278 at the Marriott Exhibit Hall from March 19 -22.  CSUN is an
annual conference sponsored by the Center on Disabilities at California
State University, Northridge.   The event will be held at the Los Angeles
Airport Marriott and Hilton Los Angeles Airport.

Availability and Pricing
The ALVA MPO will be available in June 2003 through authorized MPO
resellers.  MSRP (Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price) and volume purchase
pricing will be announced at that time.

About ALVA
ALVA B.V. is a leader in the assistive technology industry.  Founded in the
Netherlands in 1984, ALVA is privately held with offices in the U.S. and
Europe.  With innovations that include the patented cursor routing switch,
used on virtually every Braille display manufactured today, ALVA products
and licensed technologies are helping people achieve their potential.  The
ALVA product family includes Braille displays, screen readers and screen
magnification software.

In collaboration with a network of regional Authorized ALVA Dealers, ALVA
customizes access products for rehabilitation professionals, schools,
government agencies, businesses, and end-users.  ALVA products and services
are available worldwide.

ALVA Access Group, Inc, the U.S. division of ALVA B.V., is located in
Oakland, California.  ALVA Access Group can be reached toll-free at (888)
318-2582 (ALVA) or [log in to unmask]  For more information, please visit ALVA
at www.aagi.com.

ALVA B.V. is located in Arnhem, the Netherlands. ALVA can be reached at +31
26 384 1 384 or at [log in to unmask] For more information, please view the
ALVA web pages at www.alva-bv.nl or www.alvabraille.com.

ALVA B.V. and ALVA Access Group, Inc. are equal opportunity employers.

###