VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Steelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 1997 18:19:19 -0400
Dan:
I stand corrected, and, of course, you are right about flint arrowheads.
Certainly there were graphical and intuitive interface systems before
windows.  I also agree that such still exist.  There's one problem;
software is not readily available for them.  This is not simply a surrender
to fashion as you suggest.  Were it so, software would still be available
for those immune to the call of such a trend.  The unfortunate thing is
that it is almost inmpossible for us to find DOS based software.  Anything
worth having is written for this operating system and we, blinks, had
darned well better get jused to it.  We constantly complain about being
"left behind" in the computer revolution.  We constantly carp at developers
who will not design their systems to meet our needs.  I ask you, with all
due respect, what right many of us have to complain when we lack the
initiative or confidence to use the operating platform in which that
software was designed?  That, Dan's my real point.  I sometimes think this
feeling of behindedness is, at least partially our own fault for an almost
ostrich like ability to hide our head in the sand to avoid the flood.
Well, the purpose of my post was simply to argue that there is another
solution--we can swim.
Don

IF EVERYONE LIT JUST ONE LITTLE CANDLE,
WHAT A BRIGHT WORLD IT WOULD BE.