VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pratik Patel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pratik Patel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2018 08:58:08 -0500
Hello,

I assume that you have a Gmail account which you're filtering through
Outlook. This particular problem is an ugly result of how Gmail deals with
its messages. Generally, there are no folders as you might understand the
concept in Gmail. Instead, Gmail has labels. These labels are applied by
Gmail to each message that comes in. The important label is applied to a
message that Gmail considers to be--well, important. This label gets applied
along with the label "inbox" or another folder's label. When you delete a
message from what you consider to be "inbox" or another folder, the message
is not actually deleted unless there are no other labels associated with
that message. If the message has the important label associated with it, you
deleting the message from a particular folder only removes the inbox or the
other label from that message. The important label is still associated with
that message. Unfortunately, you have no other choice but to go through the
"important" folder and delete the messages that you no longer wish to have
there.

Hope this explanation helps.

Regards,

Pratik