VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 07:30:13 -0600
From: "Terri Hedgpeth" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 8:16 AM

> Does anyone understand what the pasted passage below from the ACB news
> means? It was forwarded by Peter Altschul. When I read this item I was
> completely lost as to what the heck they were talking about.
>
>       *  Public money, private agendas and consumer choice?
>                 ACB has become increasingly concerned for the chilling
> impact of activities at the rehabilitation Services Administration on
> effective use of consumer choice in rehabilitation services.  Thinly
veiled
> attempts to replace a range of options for rehabilitation delivery with
> monolithic approach to services, the publication of materials with a
single
> philosophical focus and the funding of a study comparing orientation
and
> mobility certification without appropriate controls to prevent the fox
from
> studying access routes to the hen house, only narrow if not eliminate
> legitimate choices for consumers in access to rehabilitation.  ACB is
> monitoring this situation and will not stand by if we conclude that
consumer
> choice has been compromised by the very agency responsible for
implementing
> it.

**Perhaps Peter's lack of an explanation about this question suggests
that he doesn't know either.  It could be the active management style of
JoAnn Wilson.  Additionally, the specific issues that are being
referenced would seem somewhat embarrassing if directly discussed.  For
example, I believe the reference to the "lack of consumer choice" refers
to the recent position that the federal government will no longer
consider placement in a sheltered workshop for people with disabilities
to be a job placement worthy of federal reimbursement to the states that
have placed such a person.  The ACB essentially then is challenging the
federal government in the form of disagreeing with JoAnn Wilson that the
nearly three billion dollars federal and state governments spend on
vocational rehabilitation for people with disabilities to be employed and
get off the tax rolls should go to landing people dead-end jobs that
often pay minimum or sub-minimum wages instead of competitive employment
that might lead to something.

As for the other issues, they may be cloaked in obscure language to mask
the real issues, as evinced above.

Kelly