VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Scott D. Hendershot" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott D. Hendershot
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:47:55 -0500
Hello all,

There seems to be allot of interest in games lately and since I put this
list together a few months ago I thought I would share it with those who are
interested.

It is a few weeks out of date but I will be updating it soon.  It should be
enough to get anyone started who has been looking for Accessible Games
though!

oh yeah, a few games you can get from the computer store will work with
screen readers but not many, to find out which one read my list and towards
there is a section that talks about AUDYSSEY Magazine, this is where you
will find out which games work and which don't!

Anyway, I hope this list is found to be useful and if your not interested
then well, delete it now!

Later, Scott

Screenreader friendly games

Here is a few of the many places to find games that work with either JFW or
Window-Eyes or both.

Some of them do not use a screenreader at all, they are "independent"!

1. Accessible Games
http://www.gamesfortheblind.com/

New! Accessible StarFight
Accessible WordScramble
Accessible WordPlay
Accessible Battleship
Accessible BlackJack
Accessible FreeCell
Accessible Memory
Accessible Simon
Accessible Yahtzee

2. Kitchen's Inc
http://www.simcon.net/jkitchen

for his free dos games
and for his free windows games
and don't forget his Trivia page

Kitchen's Inc dos games

The below files are all free speech friendly
dos games and other programs

doshman.zip 687k bytes January 2000
hangman type game
with 12 thousand words

hangmana.dat 18k bytes January 2000
adult word list for the hangman game
just put this file in the same directory
as the hangman game

golf82c.zip 383k bytes November 98
Golf game now with better sound sequencing to hit the ball
as well as a practice green a driving range and more

dosbase3.zip 1,363k bytes September 99
arcade style base ball game
now with joystick support

dosfball.zip 57k bytes January 96
football game that you can play an entire season as your favorite team

dostruck.zip 1,445k bytes January 98
big rig trucker game

dosmule.zip 53k bytes October 95
galactic drug sales game

doslife.zip 44k bytes April 95
the game of life

dosbshp3.zip 130k bytes April 96
battle ship game play against the computer

dosbop3.zip 341k bytes November 98
computer version of the popular game bop it

dosimon2.zip 774k bytes November 99
Simon type game where you have to repeat the sounds that are played
Now keep all of the sets of wave files in the same directory
four new sets of wave files added

dosreac2.zip 44k bytes October 99
program that tests your reaction time to a changing color or sound
now with joystick support

doscon2.zip 400k bytes August 99
2 player concentration game now with sound files

adultcon.zip 2k bytes August 99
adult list of prizes for the concentration game

dosmami.zip 31k bytes May 95
master mind game

dosnake2.zip 245k bytes September 99
Snakes and ladders game
a simple fun game to play
a bug fixed and joystick support added

dosskunk.zip 193k bytes December 96
fun and funny childrens dice game

dosyaht2.zip 111k bytes April 99
single or multiple player yahtzee game
now with sound files and many other new features

dospoke2.zip 408k bytes August 99
5 card draw poker machine
now with sound files and other new features

Kitchen's Inc windows games

winbat.zip 3.4m bytes July 2000
A baseball batting practice program
uses all wave files so no screen reader is necessary

wintruck.zip 4.5m bytes June 2000
windows version of the trucker game

winbop2.zip 2.8m bytes April 2000
bopit game for windows 95 or 98

winsl.zip 5.2m bytes October 2000
snakes and ladders a children's game
with lots of animal sounds, music etc
no screen reader required

and don't forget his Trivia page

Thank you for visiting my Trivia web page

You will first want to down load the trivia.zip file
the trivia.zip file contains the trivia game engine and two
sample trivia files. you can then dow load other trivia
files that you would like to play.

The trivia.zip file also contains a couple of programs that
you can use to write your own trivia question and answer files

If you write a trivia question and answer file and would
like to send it to me I would very much like to
put it up on my web site.

trivia2.zip 318k bytes August 99
Trivia game engine and other programs
goodnews.trv 6k bytes January 99
The Good News -- Bible trivia file
By Grant Metcalf
bible.trv 7k bytes January 99
BIBLE TRIVIA ACCORDING TO KING JAMES
By Flowers Bates
trek1.trv 5k bytes January 99
original Star Trek trivia file
By Wendy Steele
starwars.trv 3k bytes February 99
STARWARS TRILOGY MOVIE TRIVIa
By Allen Maynard
wseries.trv 2k bytes January 99
World Series trivia file
By Marvin Commerford
sports.trv 3k bytes January 99
general sports trivia file
By David Dunphy
racing.trv 6k bytes September 2000
Auto Racing
By David W Bundy
music.trv 3k bytes January 99
general music trivia file
By David Dunphy
oldies.trv 12k bytes January 99
Oldies trivia file
By Ron Canazzi
beatles.trv 5k bytes January 99
The Beatles trivia game
By John Jacques
christie.trv 2k bytes March 99
Agatha Christie trivia
By Frank Haslam
general2.trv 4k bytes November 99
STUFF TO KNOw
By TERRY A. JUVINALL
general3.trv 37k bytes February 2000
nearly 600 general trivia questions
By David W Bundy

3. Personal Computer Systems
http://pcsgames.com/

Here is our entire list with a short description:
Personal Computer Systems now has games playable from Windows or
DOS without needing any adaptive equipment.
The games are completely audio, all information is spoken by a
human, not a synthesizer, played through your computer's speakers.
  * means there is a demo available.

There are 8 games in this Windows/DOS format:
Snipe hunt.*
      Grab your flashlight and a sack and lets go snipe hunting!
Space invaders.
A burst of audio beeps alert you that invaders are directly
overhead ready to be destroyed.
Duck hunt.
Grab your shotgun, a box of shells and your duck call and lets go
hunting!
Breakout.
Smash! Pow! Crunch! Break through wall after wall of objects.
Pack man.
Eat fruit and avoid ghosts. Live action arcade game.
Red dragon kick boxing challenge.
Lets go a few rounds in this game for fast action lovers.
A 2 z key finder
a child can use the computer and learn letters and numbers.
Mobius mountain math game.
A shoots and latter type game to learn math.

21 Pcs dos games
These games require a DOS screen reader along with a sound card.

rainy day games.
A three game pack of solitaire, mine buster and triple yahtzee.
Arthur's quest.
Your quest is to find and recover excalibur then fight the dark lord.
Red dragon kick boxing challenge. *
Lets go a few rounds in this game for fast action lovers.
Star trek 99 the battle begins. *
You command federation star ships battling three old nemesis.
Pack man. *
Eat fruit and avoid ghosts. Live action arcade game.
Lone wolf for DOS. *
Command a ww2 sub and reek havoc on shipping, in this simulation.
A 2 z.
A child can use the computer and learn letters and numbers.
Mind puzzles.
Smoke your brain with hangman, and other great mind dusting games!
Haze maze. *
Hear your footsteps as you navigate through a maze.
Cops. *
Drive your police car through the city chacing bad guys!
Breakout. *
Smash! Pow! Crunch! Break through wall after wall of objects.
Card club. *(hearts only)
Play hearts, norwegian whist, widow whist, or crazy eights.
World series baseball special edition. *
We have added real sounds to the world series baseball game.
Car racing circuit. *
You can race your car against opponents on five different tracks.
Panzers in north africa. *
Command a world war 2 tank, and fight your way to victory.
Fox and hounds. *
You can ride a horse and try and catch the fox.
Shooting range. *
An exciting gun shooting game.
Tenpin bowling. *
Use ear and hand skills to bowl.
Mobius mountain. *
A math, shoots and latter type game.
Monopoly. *
Very speech friendly monopoly game.
Any night football.  *
A play by play description, football game.

4. Bavisoft. Software for the Blind and Visually Impaired
http://www.bavisoft.com

Grizzly Gulch Western Extravaganza

6. G M A Games at:
http://www.gmagames.com/index.html

Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf for Windows is a World War II submarine simulation game. It
combines naval warfare strategy, with a real-time realistic submarine
simulation.
Demo available.

Trek 2000

Trek 2000 is a strategic Star Trek-like game. Your goal is to defend the
Federation against the attacking Tholians, Klingons, and Romulins. You
command
four Federation star ships, along with two space stations. You are
out-gunned and out-numbered, but with your superior Federation training, you
may yet
save the day.

Trek 2000 is the full Windows implementation of the DOS Trek 99 version.

Shades of Doom

Shades of Doom is a revolutionary step forward in games for the VI
community. It was inspired by the graphical shooter game Doom, but it has
come into its
own when the prototype was released in November 1999. The alpha was released
to the Audyssey mail list in June 2000, and again in September 2000, where

7. ESP Softworks  at:
http://www.espsoftworks.com/textonly/index.html

Is supposed to be releasing a game in the next couple of months called
Monkey Business, watch for that one!

They also have a free game out called ShellShock, it's pretty cool!

go here to get it!
http://www.espsoftworks.com/textonly/freebies/directx.htm

8. MindsEye2 at:
http://www.mindseye2.bigstep.com/

Games and Educational Software

Something for everyone in the family.

Expert Crossword Fun

More challenging, accessible crossword puzzles.

Crossword Fun
Do you love crosswords? Then this exciting collection of virtually every
type of crossword under the sun is the game for you!

Anagram Mania

A multimedia feast of anagrams!

Crossword Fun for Kids

Exciting fun-filled game for children 4 and up

Flies By Night

Deep in  treacherous Tadpole Swamp lives Prince Polywog Frog who must gobble
up twenty
irritating, fast flying but tasty bugs before sunset to win the
fair Princess Petunia's hand.  But the swamp is a dangerous place to
live.

Also, if your into games then  check out
Audyssey Magazine
Computer Games Accessible to the Blind

Edited by Michael Feir

which you can find out more information by going to the web site of which
the address or url is below.

There are now several ways of obtaining Audyssey. Thanks to ESP Softworks,
there is once again a distribution list for those who want to receive
Audyssey via E-mail. To subscribe to the distribution list so that you
receive all future
issues, the direct Url to the subscription form is:
http://www.espsoftworks.com/forms/audyssey_to.asp
You may also refer a friend and pass onto them the current issue as well as
an introduction e-mail explaining the magazine in detail.  Then, if they
wish to subscribe they will be referred to this form.  The form is available
from the Audyssey Magazine section of the ESP Softworks web-site. To get
there directly, go to:
http://www.espsoftworks.com/textonly/audyssey/audyssey.html
The Audyssey section also contains all back-issues of Audyssey if you want
to get caught up with events.

Well, this ought to be enough to get you started!!!

Later, Scott