VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steve Zielinski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2001 12:11:43 -0500
This may be of interest to those using Window-Eyes, VERSION 4.11 ONLY.

Steve

To: [log in to unmask]
From: brian hartgen [log in to unmask]

Hi,

This is an announcement to let people know that I have improved my set
files for word 9, part of office 2000.  Please note that these set files
are different to the GW Micro default sets, which can always be restored
through the select set file dialog contained within the window-eyes
control panel.  If you would like to use them, you will be able to
download them later today from www.hartgen.org Note that you must have
Office 2000 and window-eyes 4.11 installed.  There are sets for earlier
versions of wineyes on my site, but they do not contain all the
functionality listed here.

I shall list all the features I have included, starting with the most
recent.  I have tried to include functionality for those of us who use
word processing a lot, but who need rapid access to certain data.

1.  I have introduced a verbosity mode, activated by the keystroke alt
comma.  When activated, as you arrow through the text, window-eyes will

announce the heading style changes automatically.  When carefully proof
reading a document, this is essential for learning whether heading styles
have been applied, such as "title", "heading 1", etc.  As visually
impaired people, we must ensure that the lay-out of our document is
absolutely correct.

2.  The normal mode is resumed when you press alt comma again.  However,
you can obtain the heading style information at the cursor position by
pressing alt semicolon.

3.  The page number on which you are focused can be accessed by pressing
alt N.  Similarly, when you move from page to page with control page up or
down, window-eyes will automatically announce the page number.  It is
likely that, by the time you read this, the verbosity mode will contain
the ability to announce the new page number when you arrow up or down to
it in the document, in other words, when you transgress from one page to
another.

4.  It is often important for us to know rapidly whether text is bolded,
or underlined etc., rather than hearing "times new roman, 12 point, bold
on, italics off underline off".  For this reason, pressing alt 7 reads the
bold status, alt 8 italics status, alt 9 underlined status.

5.  In table mode, activated with alt 1, pressing the tab or shift-tab
keys between columns will cause window-eyes to announce just the data in
the column.

6.  In the word count dialog, pressing insert w causes window-eyes to
announce the statistical information.

7.  More verbosity has been implemented, which of course is controllable.

I think that's everything.  If there is anything else particularly people
would like in the sets, please let me know, although I am a little limited
because of the screen-reader's functionality.  But you never know, your
suggestion may be possible.

Brian Hartgen

E-MAIL:  [log in to unmask]

WEB SITE:  www.hartgen.org

MSN MESSENGER SERVICE:  [log in to unmask]