VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Oct 1998 11:20:27 -0500
This was published in the August 1998 issue of the Monitor, the monthly
magazine of the Capital PC User Group, Inc.  I thought list members and
local groups would be interested in an end-user account of distance
learning materials.  An agency for the blind is no longer necessary.
<grin>

kelly

               Ziff-Davis University (ZDU) Upgrades

                        by Scott Mohnkern

Online education promises to revolutionize the way we think about
learning. Instead of spending hundreds (or thousands) of dollars
to attend a seminar, online education offers the possibility of
acquiring the same skills from your office (or home), at your own
pace, for a lot less money. If you've heard me speak, either at
an Internet special interest group (SIG) meeting, or at the class
I teach, you've probably heard me praise Ziff-Davis University
(ZDU at http://www.zdu.com) as one of the best online education
sites on the Internet. I've completed over a dozen courses at ZDU
in the last year, and am always taking a ZDU course.

  Recently, ZDU went through a major site-wide upgrade and now
  offers additional options that previously weren't available.
  These changes have made ZDU even more valuable than it was in
  the past.

The Cost

  ZDU is one of the best online education values I've seen, with
  an "all you can eat" pricing structure. For $4.95 a month (or
  less, if you prepay for a year's service) you can take as many
  (or as few) courses as you want. You have to provide a credit
  card number, and an authorization to charge to it every month,
  or mail a check for a year's service. ZDU doesn't offer a
  month-to-month contract when you pay by check. I found it
  easiest to go the automatic charge route, because the amount is
  so small. I figure that if I don't order in lunch one day a
  month, I've paid for my service. When you consider the cost of
  other online resources (such as online games, which average $10
  to $20 per month, or other online education sites where you pay
  by the course), I think you'll find that the $4.95 a month is
  money well spent.

  There is, however, one "hidden" cost. Almost every course I've
  taken requires some kind of textbook. Most of the time this
  text is written by the course instructor, and it can run $20 to
  $40 dollars, depending upon the textbook. ZDU, in its
  introductory material, isn't as forthright as I'd expect about
  it being essential that you purchase the textbook for each
  course. I have seen occasional complaints from students who
  don't want to buy the book. So, before you sign up for the
  course, make sure you are also willing to pay for the book, and
  other required materials.

  Some of the "textbooks" to be purchased may be Adobe PDF files,
  so you'll need the current version of the Adobe Acrobat reader,
  downloadable from http://www.adobe.com. Don't worry, this
  program is free.

  I've found the textbooks I've purchased (with one exception) to
  be excellent reference material that I used after completing
  the course. So, most of the time, the book you are buying isn't
  going to end up in the closet (or worse, the trash) after
  you've completed the course. You'll probably end up keeping it
  nearby, and continue to use it for reference.

Signing Up

  Before you can take any classes, you'll need to join ZDU. When
  you go to http://www.zdu.com, click on the Join Now link. You
  can either sign up for a free trial period, or pay for your
  membership right away. ZDU currently offers two payment
  options, a month-to-month option, or a year- long option. After
  selecting how you want to pay, you'll be asked to fill out a
  short form, in which you provide your basic information (name,
  address, telephone number, e-mail address, and so forth), and
  you'll pick your userid, which will be used when you log in.
  After you've completed the signup process, your password will
  be sent to you via e-mail.

Registering for Online Courses

  After you've signed up for ZDU, and received your password, go
  to http://www.zdu.com and log in. Then go to the course
  catalog, and sign up for your first course. Announcements for
  new courses are generally made at the beginning of the month,
  and the courses themselves start sometime during that month.
  ZDU currently offers courses in eight subject areas:

- Programming -- Courses in Java, C, C++, and Visual Basic

- Databases -- Microsoft Access, SQL, and so forth

- Networking -- NT System Administration, Microsoft Network,
  and so forth

- Business -- Internet Business Strategies, Internet
  Advertising, Investing on the Net, and so forth

- Webmaster -- HTML, JavaScript, DHTML, FrontPage, and VRML

- Design -- Paint Shop Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator,
  and Web Site Design

- Net User -- Searching the Internet, Introduction to the
  Internet, and so forth

- Desktop -- Computer Construction and Maintenance,
  Windows 98 Installation, and Hardware Troubleshooting

  As you can see, these cover a wide variety of subjects! When
  you select a subject, you'll see a list of courses, including
  when they are offered. Some courses are currently going on, but
  you can still sign up for them. I do not recommend that you
  sign up for a course that's been going on for more than a few
  days, as you'll spend most of your time "catching up." It's
  much better to look for a time where you can join at the
  beginning, and start then. This may mean that even though
  you've already signed up for ZDU, it will be a week or two
  before you actually start taking your first course. That's OK,
  you can spend time using the tutorials while you wait, or, you
  can just be patient.

  When you select (by clicking on) a course of interest, you'll
  get a list of dates that are open for registration, courses
  currently in progress, and plans for future offerings. You will
  be unable to register for courses far in advance, so,
  hopefully, you've selected a class that is open for
  registration.  If you currently cannot register for a course,
  you can ask ZDU to notify you when this course is open for
  registration via e-mail. Go ahead and click on the link for the
  dates you want to take the course.

  When you click on the link, you'll be given all the information
  about the class, including a description, course requirements,
  and a syllabus. It's extremely important that you read the
  course requirements, to make sure that you are going to be able
  to understand the course material, and be willing to buy the
  necessary "supplies" for the course, including textbooks, and
  software if necessary. Sometimes you'll be required to have
  specific software (including specific versions) installed on
  your computer, or be running on a specific operating system.
  Make sure that you check these requirements, and are willing to
  fulfill them. Also, make sure that you've read the
  prerequisites regarding skills, and that you've got them.

  Many of the "complaints" you'll hear in class are from students
  who aren't prepared for the course, and aren't willing to
  devote the time to catch up. This is especially true for
  "higher level" Webmaster courses (such as JavaScript, CGI, or
  Dynamic HTML) and the programming courses.

  Now, you've found a course you like, you've read the
  prerequisites, and decided to sign up for the course. Go ahead
  and click on the Register for this Class button. You'll be
  presented with a short form, with three options.

Full Student or Auditor?

  When you take a ZDU course, there are two options: full student
  or auditor. Full students post questions and answers to
  problems in the classroom, and receive a certificate (that you
  download and print) at the end of the course. Most courses have
  a limit on the number of full students, so you may find that it
  isn't possible to register as a full student. If you decide to
  audit a course, you can enter the classroom and "listen" (that
  is, read) all you want, but you can't "talk" (by posting
  messages). To get the most out of a class, I recommend that you
  become a full student. However, if you just want to read what
  other people are talking about, or see if you might be
  interested in taking the course as a full student, go ahead and
  audit the class.

Receiving Information From Vendors

  I read this option to mean, "Do you want to receive spam?" That
  probably isn't fair, but I have my biases. If you check Yes to
  this question, ZDU may distribute your e-mail address to
  vendors related to the course you are taking. I always check
  No, but, if you want to receive commercial e-mail about
  information related to your course, go ahead and check Yes.
  (But don't say I didn't warn you!)

Continuing Education Units

  It's possible to receive Continuing Education Units (CEUs) for
  courses that you take at ZDU. If you pay an additional $15.00
  per course, you can receive credit from the American Council on
  Education. However, you'll have to make sure that you attend
  the class once a week, and complete all the assignments. The
  number of CEUs you'll receive depends upon the projected time
  requirements of the course. For example, an Introduction to
  HTML course offers 2 CEUs, while a basic C++ course offers 8
  CEUs.

  You've filled out the registration form and clicked on the
  registration submission button. Now you'll get a page telling
  you that you'll be notified via e-mail about a week before the
  course starts. Don't count on it! Most of the time I didn't
  receive the promised reminder. When I did, it arrived just a
  day before the start of class. With ZDU's site renovation, this
  may improve, but I wouldn't rely on receiving an e-mail
  reminder.

  It's best to put a note on your calendar, or in your personal
  information manager, indicating when the course starts, just in
  case.

Class

  The first day of class arrives, so you go to http://www.zdu.com
  and log in, and then you click on Your Classes. A Web page
  comes up with a list of your classes, including links to the
  Classroom and the Class Caf_ for each class for which you are
  currently registered. The classroom is where class discussions
  occur, and the caf_é is where you can "socialize" with your
  classmates. Go ahead and click on the classroom for your
  course.

Mechanics

  ZDU classrooms are bulletin boards where instructors and
  students can post and reply to messages. When you enter the
  classroom for the first time, you'll see several postings
  already up, including --

    -Welcome from the sysops
    -Please read me first
    -Please read me second

You may also see the first week's assignment.

  If you haven't taken a course before, I recommend you read all
  of these messages so you can learn how courses work and, more
  importantly, how the bulletin board works. These classrooms use
  Proxicom software, which takes some getting used to. However,
  once you've learned how things work, you'll really grow to
  enjoy this interface.

  Rather than try to go into extensive detail about how the
  bulletin board works, here are a few quick tips:

- If you see a + sign next to a subject, it means that there are
  new replies to that subject. You can click on the + sign and
  "expand" that subject to see what's there.

- If a subject is bold, it means you haven't read that subject
  before, and you should probably read it.

  Only instructors and sysops can start new subjects. All student
  postings are replies to one or more of the subjects started by
  the instructor or sysop. This is done to avoid "subject
  overload" on the bulletin board. At first you'll find this an
  annoyance, but after a while you'll discover that you can
  always find a subject related to the question you are posing.

  When posting messages, you have three options: normal, HTML
  formatted, and plain text. I recommend that unless you've got a
  specific reason for choosing otherwise, you use the normal
  option.  However, if you know how to code HTML manually, you
  can choose this option. If you have a specific reason for not
  using automatic formatting, you can use the plain text option.
  One warning about the plain text option: You must put in your
  own carriage returns. Just because the text wraps in the form
  when you fill it out does not mean that it will wrap similarly
  when it is posted. In fact, it won't.

  The HTML option is similar. In HTML, just because you have a
  carriage return in your document, does not mean that it will be
  used when displaying. You must use a <br> or <p> tag to start a
  new line or paragraph, respectively.

  I've found the plain text option to be totally useless, and
  primarily use the normal option. I use the HTML option when I
  want to do something fancy.

Substance

  We've talked about how you navigate in the classroom, now let's
  talk about how courses are "conducted."

  Generally, at the beginning of each week, the instructor posts
  a reading assignment, a field trip (when appropriate), and an
  exercise. Sometimes the instructor will post two assignments,
  if the course is conducted quickly, due to the amount of
  information required to be covered. I recommend that you read
  first, take the field trip, and then complete the exercise.

Reading Assignments

  Reading assignments vary in length from a few pages to several
  chapters in the textbook, depending upon the difficulty of the
  material. For example, in the VRML course, the first reading
  assignment is the preface of the book, plus the first three
  chapters.  When I first read that, I began to wonder if I'd
  have time to complete the course. However, the first three
  chapters were a narrative on the history of VRML, and an
  extremely fast read. By the time we got to week two, reading
  assignments were one chapter, because we were getting into some
  fairly technical material. You may feel the urge to skip the
  reading, and try to jump straight to the exercises. Don't do
  it! Even if you think you know enough to complete the
  assignment, reading through the text will reinforce what is
  being covered, and may give you information you would have
  missed.

  If, after reading the assignment, you have a question or
  comment about what you've just read, post it as a reply to this
  subject. The instructor (or other students) will probably
  answer your question if you pose one, and you may post
  information that's useful to others. ZDU classes are definitely
  a "joint learning" experience!

Field Trips

  Field trips tend to be Web sites that have information related
  to what you are discussing during the assignment. These field
  trips can be interesting, and often you will learn about
  resources that you can use in the future (such as HTML and VRML
  specifications). The field trips may seem like a waste of time,
  but have fun, and try them!

  If, after taking the field trip, you want to comment on the
  trip, or have a question about it, post it as a reply to this
  subject.

Exercises

  Generally, with each reading assignment there is an exercise
  for you to complete. These assignments are designed to have you
  apply what you've learned. The instructions will tell you what
  to do with your work. You generally either post your answers as
  a reply to the exercise or, in some cases, you may post them to
  your Web space.

  When you go through this section, there will be lots of
  replies, with everyone's answer to the problem. This can be
  useful, or an annoyance, depending upon the course. Sometimes
  there are so many messages (all containing exactly the same
  solution) in the section that I get annoyed reading them all.
  However, occasionally you'll read an answer containing a
  solution you would not have discovered.

  If you have any questions about an exercise, or are having
  problems completing it, post your question as a reply to this
  subject, and someone will reply to you.

Keeping Up

  It's fairly important that you keep up with your reading
  assignments, and reading the postings on the bulletin board. I
  recommend you set a time aside each week (an hour or two,
  depending upon the class) to complete everything. If you skip a
  week, you're likely to fall behind, and then it becomes
  difficult to catch up. I set aside Friday mornings (our slowest
  time at work) to go through everything. It's worked out pretty
  well.

  Now you've got all the information you need to complete your
  first course at ZDU! However, there are some added features
  that are worth noting, and some worth skipping.

Tutorials

  This is probably the most significant improvement to ZDU as a
  result of its upgrade. ZDU now offers tutorials on a variety of
  subjects, and instructors are not required. You can find the
  tutorials when you go to a list of your classes.

  Each of the tutorials focuses on a specific application,
  allowing you to teach yourself, at your own pace. All the
  Microsoft Office applications, plus Netscape Communicator, have
  tutorials. If you already have worked with a prior version of
  these applications, or have previous experience with similar
  applications, this may be the perfect solution for you. Instead
  of having to drag yourself through an introductory course,
  where you have to slog through exercises that are too easy, you
  can go straight to the lessons you need.

  These tutorials use the LearnFlow plug-in, which is free. Once
  you've downloaded and installed the plug-in, you can simply go
  to the tutorial you want, and the lessons will come up
  automatically. This plug-in opens a window that carries you
  through the course, just like an instructor would!

  However, I found the current version of the LearnFlow plug-in a
  little buggy. It didn't crash my computer, but it didn't always
  act as expected. In particular, you'd be told to click on a
  given menu item, or something similar, and when you did, it
  told you that you didn't click in the right place. So you'd
  have to figure out where it wanted you to click, or have it do
  it for you. I imagine that as future versions of this plug-in
  are developed, these problems will be solved.

  Don't let the bugginess of the plug-in keep you from trying
  these tutorials. I've completed several of them, and learned
  something with every one.

The Learning Advisor

  ZDU has so many courses that it's easy to get really distracted
  and take a series of courses that aren't related to each other.
  By using the Learning Advisor, you can develop an "Intelligent
  track" for your coursework. Take, for example, its HTML and
  JavaScript track, which recommends that you take the following
  courses (in order):

1.  Create Your First Web Site With HTML and/or Introduction to HTML 4.0
2.  HTML Workshop: Frames
3.  Introduction to Web Style Sheets
4.  Introduction to JavaScript
5.  Dynamic HTML With Internet Explorer 4 and/or Dynamic HTML with
    Netscape Communicator 4

  But what if you are just interested in becoming a really good
  Net user?  Then they suggest you take the following:

1.  Introduction to the Internet, Part 1
2.  Introduction to the Internet, Part 2
3.  Internet Search Techniques and/or Netscape Communicator 4.0/4.01
    Introduction and/or Internet Explorer 4.0 Introduction.

Here they've recommended three courses and two tutorials, so you
can mix and match!

  By using the Learning Advisor, you can develop a long-term,
  meaningful track of courses to take at ZDU.

Class Cafes

  With each class you take, there are class cafes. These look
  just like the bulletin boards that you use in the classroom,
  but they are more "social" and are designed for "out of class"
  discussions. Here you'll find a variety of subjects related to
  your class to which you can post (and answer) questions and
  comments. You'll find fellow students introducing themselves
  here, including their backgrounds. ZDU's plan for these cafes
  is to develop some type of networking among students. I'm not
  sure whether it's really effective, but I do have to admit that
  there are some people I know now because of these caf_s. If you
  have the time, stop by. But if you don't, you won't be missing
  anything of substance for your class.

Live Chat

  Occasionally an instructor will offer a "Live Chat" session
  during the course in which he or she will be available for
  questions. Each of these chat sessions is a little different,
  and the instructor will provide you with the information you
  need. Most of these chat sessions are in the evening hours, and
  I've yet to attend one. However, if you are the kind of
  individual who likes live chat, and want to interact in a
  real-time environment with your classmates, here's your chance.

Graduate Lounges

  After your class is over, you'll be notified that a "Graduate
  Lounge" is now available to you. These "Lounges" are similar to
  the class caf_s, except they contain all the "graduates" in a
  given subject area.  After you've completed a course, if you
  have any questions, stop by and there's bound to be someone
  willing to give you an answer.

Campus Store

  Normally you'll buy your textbooks, and other supplies, from
  the Campus Store. If, however, you are buying a printed
  textbook, make sure you comparison shop at your local
  bookseller, and at amazon.com. There are other items for sale
  that you may want to consider as well. The Campus Store offers
  additional books, software, and magazine subscriptions. To be
  honest, I thought most of the items were a touch pricey.
  (FrontPage98, for example, was $133, and I found it locally for
  $100.) The store did have, however, some resources that I'd
  overlooked, and might consider buying. It's probably worthwhile
  to stop by once in a while to see if there's anything new.

Student Union

  The Student Union is a chat room that requires you to download
  a program called Virtual Places. The idea of live chat rooms to
  socialize in is intriguing but after experimenting with the
  Virtual Places software, I found it cumbersome, and difficult
  to use. Unless you've got a lot of free time on your hands,
  skip it.

Resource Library

  This is an expanding list of resources for students. From CGI
  scripts in PERL, to FAQs on a variety of topics, to software,
  you'll find it here. Make sure you stop by here and see what's
  available, especially if you are writing HTML pages.

Some Tips and a Final Word

  When I first registered at ZDU, I signed up for four or five
  courses, all to be offered at the same time. Unless you've got
  time on your hands, avoid this practice. I quickly found myself
  bogged down in too much work, and fell behind. Unless there is
  a course you must take today, or there's a course that isn't
  going to be offered again, be patient. Sign up for one or maybe
  two classes at a time. By devoting your time to just one class,
  you'll be able to absorb the material better, and won't feel
  like you are giving short shrift to anything. If you feel a
  course is moving too slowly, then try to expand your knowledge
  in the subject by asking questions of the instructor and fellow
  classmates.

  Remember, this isn't a "real time" class, so it may take a day
  (or even two) to get an answer to your question. Don't expect
  to post a question, and have it answered an hour later, because
  that's unlikely to happen.

  Make sure you understand an assignment completely before going
  to the next one. Most of these courses have assignments in
  which one exercise builds upon the previous exercises. If
  you've become totally lost in any given exercise, it's unlikely
  that you'll be able to complete the next one. Take the time to
  work through any problems you have, and ask questions.

  Keep motivated! No one is going to be leaning over your
  shoulder, reminding you to do your homework, and if you stop
  working, you don't receive a failing grade (unless you've
  signed up for Continuing Education Units). The learning is
  entirely up to you. The instructors won't contact you if you
  stop going to class.

  But most of all, remember that ZDU is about learning. You are
  there to learn. If you aren't learning because the course is
  too easy, drop out and take a harder course. If you aren't
  learning because it's too difficult, try an easier course. If
  you are asking questions that aren't getting answered, let the
  ZDU staff know, so they can solve your problems. In the one
  course I found disappointing, I let the ZDU staff know, and the
  subsequent offering of that course was restructured and
  improved.

Scott Mohnkern is President of Millkern Communications, Inc., and
can be reached at [log in to unmask] Scott is looking forward
to resuming his Capital PC User Group class on Searching the
Internet. Check out his Web pages at
http://www.cpcug.org/user/mohnkern.

Copyright 1998, by the Capital PC User Group, Inc.  All rights
reserved.

Permission for reproduction in whole or in part is hereby
granted to other non-profit and computer user groups for
internal, non-profit use, provided credit is given to the
Capital PC Monitor and to the author(s) of the reproduced
material, and attribution of copyright is included.

Permission is also granted for posting on electronic bulletin
board systems, provided credit is given to the Capital PC
Monitor and to the author(s) of the reproduced material, and the
files are made available in their entirety, without alteration,
including this notice.

All other reproduction, other than for personal use, without the
prior written permission of the Capital PC User Group is
prohibited.

Unless specifically stated, opinions expressed in any article or
column are those of the individual author(s) and do not
necessarily represent an official position or endorsement of the
Capital PC User Group.

Capital PC User Group, Inc.
51 Monroe Street, Suite 1605
Rockville, Maryland 20850-2409

MIX BBS: (301) 738-9060 (10 MultiTech v.34 modems)
         (301) 738-9061 Alternative modem

Office:  (301) 762-9372