VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Pietruk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2011 17:34:47 -0400
Steve

I think that you are a bit oversensitive here.  Financial institutions
always create special account packages targeted at given segments of the
market.  And unlike some hypersensitive blind, these segments welcome, not
curse, these offerings.
Look at all the special labeled accounts for seniors over 50, 55, or
whatever which might include such perks as no-balance unlimited
checkwriting, free notary service, free checks, free electronic bill
paying, whatever.
Would you object, for instance, if a financial institution created an
account reached online by a flash-free website?
Would you object to a checkbook displaying the logo of your favorite
national organization?  Or, if you had a problem getting into your
account, for whatever reason, customer service reps trained in the needs
of screen reader users reached by a special toll-free number bypassing the
normal customer service queue?
Or perhaps monthly statements emailed to you in whole on them being
released?

This is marketing trying to capture customers from other financial
institutions by attempting to figure out what specific customers might
want and, in some instances, be willing to pay fees for.

And wouldn't it be a treat if the blind market were deemed so financially
viable that it was worth catering to?

I hardly would have a problem with that.  Whether or not I'd go with such
an account might depend upon a lot of other factors, but it would
certainly be nice if such catering would be done as now occurs with my
age, where I do business elsewhere, which credit card I carry, where I
shop and the myriad of other things that might make up the life of my wife
and I.

faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who
comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek
Him.
--Hebrews 11:1,6 (NASB)

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]