VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 2015 12:19:32 -0700
Amy,

I tend to work on projects that can get complex too. I usually create a
folder for each project and put lots of individual files into that
folder. Once the files and the project in general start taking shape, I
can insert the text of a file into another file. To insert the text of
one file into another, open the first file, move the cursor to the place
where you want the text of the second file to appear, go into the Insert
tab, choose Object (I think), then choose Text from File. I think the
key sequence is alt+n followed by j, x.

I also sometimes use headings to organize and develop large projects.

* Heading 1 may be something comparable to a chapter. Heading 2 may be a
section. Heading 3 may be an example. Etc. To create headings, highlight
the text, and press alt+ctrl+1, alt+ctrl+2, alt+ctrl+3 and so on for
heading levels 1, 2, 3, etc.

* Whether I have a few lines or a few pages worth of material in each
section, I like to insert a page break (ctrl+enter) so I have the option
of using the page-up/down commands to move through my document
(ctrl+pg-up/dn).

* You can use Jaws quick navigation commands to jump to headings and so
on as you would on a web page. ins+z toggles quick navigation mode. Then
you would hit H to jump to a heading, T to jump to a table, G to jump to
a graphic, and so on.

* In Word 2013 (not sure about earlier versions), you can move through
headings by pressing ctrl+f, then tabbing through the headings and
pressing enter. Hmm, I may be skipping a step there.

* I have a chaotic system of markers that I use to find things quickly.
For example, I type an asterisk at the end of each section. The pound
sign means I need to do more research about this. Braces enclose notes
to self (e.g., "it may help to explain X concept here" or "This section
should probably be merged with that other section"). Brackets enclose
reminders about specific things I need to do (e.g., "Add example of X
here," "Insert table comparing A and B," "Summarize article on Y'). Then
I use the find command to search for the asterisk, number sign, left
brace, or left bracket.

Not sure how helpful this is.

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at