VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Rossi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Rossi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 10:04:29 -0400
On Mon, 10 May 1999, Steve Zielinski wrote:

> for a different region etc.  Right now, as I understand it, much of the
> information on the internet is sent via transmission systems separate
> from the telephone industry in general. Perhaps someone can correct me,
> but I do not think the back bone of the internet is exclusively at&t
> lines.

Some pretty good points Steve.  Not only is billing going to change but
much more will change.  Far beyond anything I can imagine right now.  Once
you have tied telephone, T.V., information, video phone, electronic
billing, and who knows whatelse, together.  We will be looking at a pretty
different world.  It should be interesting and a bit scary.  I hope the
privacy advocates stay ontop of things.

As a person who spends all day in an office working on computers, I feel
the strong need to spend all weekend outside enjoying fresh air, nature,
and physical interaction with other human beings.  I wonder what the
societal changes will be like in the future.  But that's a topic for a
different discussion group.

BTW.  I believe most of the back-bone for the Inet is actually owned and
maintained by MCI not AT&T.  They are the ones that got the many of the
contracts to string T1 between universities.

Later.

 > > Steve
>
> Net-Tamer V 1.11.2 - Test Drive

> [log in to unmask]  In the body of the message, simply type

Dan

-----
Blue Skies
Dan Rossi