VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 14:47:36 -0500
   BW ONLINE DAILY BRIEFING

   ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY by John M. Williams April 21, 1999
   Online School: A Boon for Disabled Students -- and Teachers
   Convene International's cyber-education tools are opening new doors to
   virtual schoolrooms

   I like to think of it as my legacy. Twenty years ago when I appeared
   on Good Morning America to discuss how I used a computer to help
   control my stuttering, I think I coined a phrase for prosterity. Host
   David Hartman asked, "What are the benefits of the computer to a
   stutterer?" To which I quickly responded: "Computers are the great
   equalizer for disabled people." I knew I was right then. And Scott
   Stevens still proves it today.
   Stevens, 40, has muscular dystrophy. He has used a wheelchair all his
   life. He's very bright. By the time he was 20, he had earned a BA in
   business and then an MBA from Saginaw Valley State University in
   Michigan. In 1988, after holding a series of accounting and investment
   positions, he was recruited by the president of Great Lakes Junior
   College in Caro, Mich., to teach accounting, business, and economics.
   But about two years ago, nature started taking its toll. Years of
   heavy scheduling had exhausted Stevens. He was scared. He wondered if
   he could continue earning a living as a teacher. A fellow instructor
   told him about an online teaching program at the Flint (Mich.) campus
   of Baker College. He contacted the program through E-mail.
   FARMHOUSE TO CAMPUS. Today, Stevens is chairman of his department at
   several Great Lakes junior colleges -- and a frequent teacher and
   lecturer still -- thanks to an interactive teaching program made by
   Convene International, an online education provider. Teaching online
   allows Stevens to lecture, lead discussion groups, and assign studies
   from the computer in his living room in a farmhouse in the Michigan
   countryside.
   Stevens taught himself general computer concepts and many common
   software applications, in addition to taking an online training
   program at Baker College. But he quickly came to appreciate the
   simplicity and standardization of CLiP (the Convene Learning Internet
   Platform). It allows students 24-hour access to downloadable course
   material. And he found the CLiP "whiteboard" useful to graph economic
   curves, flow charts, and supply-demand models.
   Convene's package includes accreditation guidance, program
   organization, network setup and administration, product support,
   marketing consultation, faculty training, and help with converting
   standard courses to an online format. Convene also offers online
   instructors four to six weeks of training, taught entirely online.
   This was how Stevens learned to teach in cyberspace.
   FOCUS ON INSTRUCTION. Now, he swears by it. Online instruction is less
   physically taxing, Stevens says. No longer must he maneuver from
   building to building. Yes, he misses the intimate, one-on-one contact
   he had with students for so many years. But he's glad he doesn't have
   to appear in front of students who might focus more on his disability
   than his instruction. "Many of my students do not know I have a
   disability. Online, no one knows I am disabled. In this environment,
   we do not recognize people by race or disability or how they look.
   None of those things get in the way of communication," Stevens says.
   Stevens uses a keyboard to reply to E-mail and make notes. When he
   needs to write lecture notes or a course outline, he uses
   voice-recognition software to translate his voice to text. His
   instruction includes management economics and all levels of
   accounting.
   A typical online class is limited to 15 students, and the primary mode
   of instruction is asynchronous -- that is, the students choose the
   time of day to participate in class in a style similar to chat rooms.
   Sometimes Stevens will schedule "live chat" synchronous discussions
   and use a whiteboard to diagram ideas. He posts lectures and then
   assigns questions to the students that sometimes lead to online
   discussions. He also assigns group projects requiring extensive
   interaction.
   Stevens has found that people very quickly warm up to each other
   online. "It's amazing how quickly relationships develop online. I open
   an outline forum outside of class where students can work together.
   People open up and attempt things much more easily. They are not
   afraid of being wrong," Stevens says.
   LIMITS ELIMINATED. He sees a bright future for online education,
   especially for disabled students. He believes it will also enhance
   college opportunities for the busiest people. And online schooling
   offers continuing education for students needing more learning in a
   specialized field or graduate-level classes.
   Online education has also expanded another opportunity for Stevens.
   He's now working on his PhD in Applied Management and Decision
   Sciences -- all in cyberspace. Because of computers, Stevens' personal
   and geographic limitations have been eliminated. I'll say it again:
   Computers are the great equalizers for disabled people.
   More than 70 colleges and universities, seminaries, and corporations
   have joined with Convene International to offer online programs. The
   company also offers independent online teaching instructions and
   collaborates with several online teaching programs. For more
   information about Convene visit http://www.convene.com/instructor.

   Williams writes frequently for BW online on assistive technology's
   benefits for disabled people. For any questions on assistive
   technology, E-mail him at mailto:[log in to unmask]

   EDITED BY DOUGLAS HARBRECHT _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _