VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steve Zielinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 1998 18:12:55 -0500
Peter,

I don't think there is any kind of notification system built into vocal
eyes to tell you when paragraphs begin.  If your synthesizer does not
delay between blank lines to indicate a paragraph, then the best thing you
can do is set ve to tell you when blank lines are crossed.   Go to the
voice control panel, go to option 1. screen.  Go to option 14. "blank
lines" and turn it to "say blank.  That way as you read a blank line you
can hear "blank" indicating a blank line is passed and the next words
should begin a new paragraph.  Alternatively, you can go to 1. screen, and
turn format alert on, option 9.  This, however, will give you all kinds of
format info and might make reading tasking.  I use blank lines say blank
all the time and find it very helpful.

As far as dictionary creations for making your synthesizer speak words
differently.  Create a file called speech.dic in your c:\\speech
directory.  An ASCII file of course.  The first line should be the word
that is being mis pronounced, capitalization doesn't matter, so I create
words in all small letters.  Hit enter after the word is written.  On the
second line create a mis spelling of the word such that your synthesizer
says it the way you want it to say it.  You can use spaces if necessary.
Keep this up,, a properly spelled word on the odd numbered lines, the mis
spelled speech correction on the even numbered lines.  DO NOT hit a final
carriage return at the end of the file.  Load the speech dictionary into
your synthesizer.  I don't know how it is done with synthesizers other
than sounding board.  With that synthe you go to the c:\speech directory
and type

sb /ec:\speech\speech.dic

Hit enter and the new pronounciations are installed.  Check the
appendicies for ve to find specific information on this.  I think I have
the details correct.  In any event, this should be enough to get you
started.

Steve

--
|  Steve Zielinski  (N8UJS)  |