VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ted chittenden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2014 18:13:54 -0700
Jeff and all:

I have received such calls and have hung up on the callers in the past. My rule of thumb is that if I'm having any security issues, then I will initiate the call and not the other way around. The only exception to this rule that I might possibly make is if there are widely publicized news reports stating that Microsoft technical staff is calling end-users about a security issue that has developed, and even then, especially because of the screenreader software that is installed, I would be very suspicious about doing it.
--
Ted Chittenden

Every story has at least two sides if not more.
---- Jeff Kenyon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Well, that's not always easy when you get calls from places you frequent for
appointments and meetings and you get a generic number.  I was saying to
Steve off the list that the person sounded like he was from a far away land,
and not to sound prejudice or anything but that was one clue.  Another one
is that when I got this computer I didn't have the phone number I have now.
It was just what I needed after today, enough said about my day!