VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 1998 13:19:42 -0500
On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, Peter Verhoeven wrote:

peter: The tears in my eyes changes to a real river after I read that the American
peter: Foundation of the Blind has to do something with this website.

I forwarded your comments to Paul Schroder, who is in charge of
telecommunications access issues for the Foundation.  Not surprisingly,
there has been no reply.  Many blind persons here in the United States
believe that the foundation does not represent the needs of blind persons
but rather the agencies and their often well-paid staffs that serve them.
it is not an organization *of* the blind, where blind persons are working
together for common good, but it is an organization *for* blind persons,
where decisions are made without input from elected representatives of blind
persons.

peter: I can understand that a lot of webpages on the Internet are not accessible
peter: because the webmaster have not the knowledge about accessibility. But I can
peter: not understand, that a website created on the subject of toys for people
peter: who are blind or visually impaired can be so inaccessible and I can not
peter: understand that a blind organization like the American Foundation for the
peter: Blind can agree with such an inaccessible website?

They might if they were paid $150 an hour to consult on the project.  In
the business of disability, the game is about raising funds for a purpose
for a project to hire friends and colleagues.  It is also about generating
revenue for your organization, such as being paid big bucks to consult on
accessibility.  Not all organizations in the disability or technology
access community have the same purpose or the same intentions or quality
of service.

kelly