VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 1999 12:58:49 -0600
Another option is to file a discrimination complaint.  The university
could negotiate a deal with the publishers for digital books.  Its policy
of permitting instructors to decide upon a textbook on the first day of
class could be determined to be discriminatory.  This school likely has
priority registration so that blind students can identify required texts
and obtain them in alternative formats or get them produced.  If the
university's employees have decided not to disclose their course materials
or decide upon them for blind students until the first day of class, the
blind student is at an unfair disadvantage because it is very difficult to
have books produced in a timely manner with such a late start.

Another issue is with the scanning system.To be highly effective, scanned
texts need to be cleaned up.  Scanning is a partial solution.  it is not
the total answer.

kelly