VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Altschul <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:13:55 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Edwards, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [leadership] my previous post
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:38:08 -0400
To: [log in to unmask]

I forwarded to this list a message that I actually sent to folks at my
college.  It is a message of earthshaking importance to blind people.  Lest
it was not clear to folks, Apple is going in a direction that will
fundamentally alter the nature of access.  For the first time, a blind
person will be able to walk into a dealership and purchase a Mac computer
that will have the screen reader and the large print and any other
accessibility features he or she might need built into the operating
system.  Blind people will not have to pay extra for screen readers or
magnifying programs.  They will not have to deal with third party producers
of screen readers and that just relates to individuals.

Cities, counties, states, school systems, colleges, and universities will
probably find it extremely convenient to adopt a computer system that meets
all the accessibility requirements out of the box.

With one major decision, Apple has, in my opinion, turned the access
technology industry
  into one huge question mark.

This is a very big deal, folks.  It will be up to ACB to assure that the
new system is truly functional before we support it.  It will also be up to
us to decide what our expectations ought to be with regard to Windows.  Is
it time for us to demand that Microsoft follow suit with Apple?  Should we
support screen reader and magnification software companies in spite of this
development?  This is a huge issue and we need to start to grapple with it
now rather than waiting for the chips to fall.  I know President Gray will
be as concerned as I am over this and I am certain that some significant
pronouncement will emerge during our convention.  This is a big deal,
people.  The time for action is now.  Let us be proactive and not wait for
quiet deals to be struck behind our backs.

Paul

Paul Edwards, Director
Access Services, North Campus
Phone: (305) 237-1146
Fax: (305-237-1831
TTY: (305) 237-1413
Email: [log in to unmask]
home email: [log in to unmask]

--
This message has come to you from the ACB Leadership List:  a special List
restricted to the leadership of the American Council of the Blind.  This