VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Blanton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 04:23:30 -0400
Steve,

I am not completely dismissing any and all  problems other disabled people may
have had voting in Georgia or anywhere else.  What I was saying is that the story
seems to lack some of the facts that would convince me there is such a horrible
problem with "disenfranchized voters" among the disabled population.

First, the Senator that claims to be so very concerned about Geogia voters does
NOT represent us.  As I stated in my first post.  Max Clealand and Zell Miller
represent us in the Senate.  (Democrats, both for now.)  And, if there WAS a
problem with minorities being "dienfranchized" in the Atlanta Metro Area,
Representative McKinney would be at the front of the line complaining.  And,
interestingly, not one word has been uttered from HER camp.

Second, the SECOND LINE is a falsehood.  As I said, there is no "opening" in the
voting "booth".  All the setups have not involved a partition except the three
panels that rise fron the desk surface.  The fact that this seemed to be an
article about problems disabled voters experienced in GA, I think it would have
been nice if the first example could have possibly happened in this state.

Third, as I said, in all the areas I have lived and voted in the Atlanta Metro
Area, I have never experienced a problem with an uncooperative Poll Worker.  And
I have never heard about problems with uncooperative Poll Workers.  And
considering one of our local news stations is close to the top of the list for
Most Sensationalist Reporting, I feel assured that if there had been problems
with uncooperative Pool Workers, it would have made it to their broadcasts.
(Every other type of imaginable discrimination or slght of a politically
protected group DOES make it to their broadcasts.  And the local newspapers are
owned by the same outfit.)

There was a suit filed by the NAACP about the supposed "disenfranchizement" of
some voters "of color" because of long lines.  That one kind of died a mercifully
quiet death as it was shown that lines were long EVERYWHERE in the Atlanta Metro
Area.  (I stood in line in the cold (for Georgia), the rain and in the mud for
over an hour.  I then stood in line inside the building for another 45 minutes.
And THAT was at 7:30 AM.  I don't even want to think about the line my In-Laws
stood in later in the morning.)  Nothing came out of The Atlanta Center for the
Blind and Visually Impaired about any blind voters having undue problems.  I feel
assured that if there HAD been substatial problems with disabled voters, it would
have come to light.  (And if there had been a suit filed on behalf of disabled
voters, Neal Boortz would have taken that story and run with it.  Probably NOT in
the light we would like to see it.  But he would have talked about it on-air.)

My problem with this article lies in the FACTS.  The FACTS that just were NOT
there.  Or the FACTS that were WRONG.  It is hard to take an article seriously
when right out of the block there are major "errors" in it.  I am a FACTS type of
person.

Mary Blanton