VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 19:49:00 -0700
Hi All,

As some may have read in multiple press accounts of late, Microsoft is
releasing a dictionary relatively soon.  The product, known as Encarta
World English Dictionary, is said to be the first completely new english
dictionary in more than 20 years and will be published in print and on Cd.
Below is an exchange I had with someone involved with the product at
Microsoft.  The response, which I'm sharing with permission as you'll read,
came in response to an inquiry I sent to [log in to unmask] asking about
accessibility of the dictionary and use of Active Accessibility or other
accessible software design.

Without having the actual product it is difficult to know how well the
dictionary will or won't work with screen readers or other access
technology.  However, it certainly doesn't sound promising for the initial
release of the product which I find disappointing.

I am sharing this information for two reasons:

1. I mentioned the dictionary and wondered about accessibility a bit ago in
certain internet discussions.

2. If you have an interest in seeing accessibility happen join me in
raising the issue with the people at Microsoft.  What happens this fall
when schools, libraries and other locations purchase this software and
those of us using access technology can't use it?  How long will we wait?
Personally I think Microsoft should commit to better targets than are
hinted at in the exchange I'm sharing and if the dictionary turns out to
not be accessible I hope institutions who have guidelines on purchasing
accessible software will steer clear of the product until accessibility
happens.

I am not forwarding this simply to shoot internet darts at Microsoft.  I do
feel people need to know what the company is saying about the dictionary
though.  The assorted television ads and other publicity Microsoft has done
in the last year with respect to the company's belief and work in
accessibility don't exactly match what's happening with a product like this
new dictionary.

Kelly