VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Pasco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Pasco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2019 17:50:48 -0400
I am a long time, and current System Access user. Socializer is not
broken entirely, though the Facebook part doesn't work particularly
well. One is much further ahead using the mobile version of Facebook
through your browser.

That said, I personally have felt for a very long time that System
Access is about the best solution out there for casual users and/or
people who are not particularly tech savvy. I find in general use that
it handles the web with greater ease and transparency than JAWS or
other screen readers. The text and voice forums work well. Though since
the rise and dominance of Facebook, are not used as much as they once
were. The other features still all work just fine. I find it
particularly easy to use with Skype, and its email client is much
easier to configure and use than any of the current email clients out
there. The email client is fully IMAP compliant though, so you can
access it using other email clients. What I like best, it is totally
cloud based, so you can use it across multiple devices and all settings
stay current. If you just have to use someone elses machine, you can
also get it up and running on that machine with little trouble and
without having to cary around a thumb drive. The program content is
also available through a Sero App on any I Device, as well as through
Alexa. I have used JAWS, NVDA, Narrator, Voice Over, and System Access,
and for my casual web browsing, email needs, and google searches, it is
my default screen reader because it is easy, fast, and transparent. I
still use JAWS for some more taxing purposes, but once I retired, I
found the need for the robust feature rich and complicated archetecture
of JAWS is becoming less and less important to me. Even when I did
work, I used JAWS at work, and System Access at home.

Like anything else, tastes and needs will vary, but this is a solid
product which usually does not get its due.

Bill

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]
    Subscribe: [log in to unmask]