VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stan Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Dec 2012 11:05:20 -0500
Hi All:

Since I first posted on this topic on Friday, I have continued to dig and
test.   What I've found:

1.  I decided to look over my Task Manager and what was running, and the
system usage.  I saw that my system usage was relatively low, only 10 to 30
percent for any of the parameters and I didn't think that should cause all
the problems I've had over an extended period, like months.  So I checked
out options and changed the default from minimize the task manager window to
maximize.  Then I checked the other options and didn't see anything that I
either understood or that I understood to not likely to be relevant to the
issues. I checked out the view menu and found that one of the submenus was
"update speed", so I examined it.

2.  So, on examining the "update speed" submenu, I found that there are four
option was checked.  Since I had never even opened the Task Manager on this
PC, I found this to be very odd, and a good suspect for my problems and
those described on this list.  I changed the speed to high and then to
normal and have greatly reduced my performance problems.

3.  Since Friday, I find that  some hesitancy or slowness when
opening/closing  an Outlook message has continued to some extent, as well
as, I still find some loss of focus and/or find that Jaws doesn't quickly
start reading the message when opening it.  Sometimes refreshing the screen
gets Jaws started or just waiting works.  -- its better but not as good as
it has been on my XP PC which was a Pentium 4 running at 2.53 GHz, but with
only 1 GB of RAM.

4.  The bottom line is that total silence has not occurred, nor have I
gotten a message that the program was not responding.... and during these
couple days, I've tested with Outlook, IE, FireFox, Word, Excel NotePad, a
desktop search engine, my antivirus/malware program has been running, and
I've updated Adobe Flash.  I've checked the performance parameters before
and after various tasks, and loaded some pages that render data from a
server's database and the page routinely has a refresh of the page even when
not making any new calls to the database.

I am still concerned about the loss of focus, the failure of Jaws to
consistently announce the loss of focus, and what seems to be a  sometime
failure to clear the video buffer.

I would be glad to answer any questions and would like to hear of any things
that listers have done that seem to fix their problems or those that did
not.

Thanks and have a great holiday season!

Stan