VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Verhoeven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 08:55:12 +0200
Hi Janina,

Maybe responsible is not the right word, but the example you give about the
color of the house of your neighbour is not a good one. Let give me another
example.
What do you do if your neighbour owns a dog that barks every day and every
night?
You go to a lawyer and a judge should say that this dog can not live
anymore in your neighbours house.
If you are on speaking terms with your neighbour, like you are with the toy
maufacturers, you ask them to do something to stop that daily barking.
That is what I meant by involved and responsible. Because I'm visually
impaired and saw their website was not accessible I point members of this
listing to this website asking them if they know an e-mail address to ask
them to make the website accessible. I did that because I feel myself
responsible to do so. Not because I own this website, but because I want to
see webpages on the Internet accessible for everybody. The only way to get
them all accessible is open your mouth and take your responsibility. It is
not in terms of judgement but a moral responsibility.
I visit a lot of webpages, a lot of them not accessible. I have not always
the time to start a discussion about it with the designers of such a
website. But a website about toys for blind children and the name of the
AFB on it brings me to do something.
Now the pages are accessible. I ask you were they accessible at this moment
if I shut my mouse?

Regards Peter Verhoeven
Internet : http://www.plex.nl/~pverhoe (The Screen Magnifiers Homepage)