VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Heather Achtziger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 08:32:44 -0500
Sorry, all, for replying to Anne via the list, but my server can't seem to
find her at her e-mail address.

Hi Anne, from Atlanta!  Your project sounds interesting, and I think I have
some info for you.  (You may get this same information, though, from
everyone else on this list.)  Anyhow, I'm working on my master's thesis for
the grad program in TEchnical and Professional Communication at Southern
Polytechnic State University.  My thesis topic deals with methods for the
technical communication field of designing better, more accessible computer
instructional material for people who are blind and visually impaired.
Being a technical writer by trade, and having a legally blind sister trying
to learn to use computers, this topic is near and dear to me.  Based on my
research, I would say that blind and visually impaired people have
definitely being alienated by the new computer learning environment (if you
mean what I think you mean) and by any software program, web site, or
online document that uses a graphic user interface.  I can expand on that
if you want me to, but I suspect you already know quite a bit about that.
For now I could just give you the names and web addressed where I've found
information.

One of the premier research center here in the States is the Trace Research
Center out of the University of Wisconsin.  You can find info at
http://www.trace.wisc.edu  They research all aspects of computer
accessiblity for visually impaired people.   Someone whose writings you'll
also want to read is Joseph Lazzaro, director of the Accessiblity Project
of the Massachusetts Commission for the Blind (I'm sure I've got that name
wrong, but it's close.)  Look also at Recordings for the Blind and
Dyslexic, NCAM (National Center for Accessible Media), EASI (uh, not sure
right off the top of my head what that stands for but you can find it at
http://www.rit.edu/~easi/)

I actually have web addresses for all these and more.  E-mail me back if
you are interested in them.  Also, can you open a Word document in your
e-mail package?  If so, I could send you my bibliography of sources I'm
using for my thesis.  I hope all this helps, and let me know if you need
more info.

Heather Achtziger
---------------------- Forwarded by Heather Achtziger/CORP/RKTN on 02/25/98

[log in to unmask] on 02/24/98 06:25:56 PM

Please respond to [log in to unmask]