VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Paul Magill <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Magill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 00:26:24 +1000
I do not wish to rent my software!

I prefer to purchase  any software I need, especially the operating
system.  I still use Windows 95 as it serves all my needs and I shall
continue to use it till I need something provided in a later version.  I
changed from DOS 3.3 to DOS 6.0 then to Windows 3.1 and to 95 on this
basis.

I wish to choose when to upgrade my software, and not have anyone
force me into a change.

If I had obtained 95 under the rental model I would have been compelled
by now to move to another version as support has already been withdrawn
for 95.  It is not only the additional cost but the time wasted getting
used to the changes that have been made.  For me it can take
considerable effort to make such changes and its not worth it without
substantial benefits.

I have invested considerable time and effort in gaining the experience
and skills in using Microsoft products and applying them to my needs.
If however Microsoft decided to increase the price of their upgrades by,
say, double or even ten fold I would have quite a while to decide
whether to
upgrade.  If I did not, or could not afford to,  upgrade my Windows 95
for instance, I would eventually slip behind the game, but would have
some years to consider the alternatives while still using what I am
quite happy with.

But under the rental model, if Microsoft, or another vendor of a product
important to you significantly increased the price then you are caught
in a bind.

Either pay the increase at the end of the rental period or stop using
the product all together!  What if you just cant afford the price hike
at that time?  You wont be able to simply postpone an upgrade for a
while, as is now, because it will be
either pay up, or stop using it.

The third option, use another manufacturer may not be so
straightforward.  Files  you have created, for a word processor or
spreadsheet for example, may not be fully convertable to a competitors
program.   This problem is even more daunting when you are talking about
the operating system itself.

At the moment there is at least some market pressure on Microsoft and
other manufacturers not to make new versions too expensive.  If they do,
many people will sit on their current version and wait,  thus reduce
sales.  You may say that some products are already expensive, but if you
divide by the number of years you can use them they are more reasonable.

Under the rental model however, you obtain the product WITHOUT knowing
what the subsequent rental payments may be or for how long it will be
supported.   Remember, under the new model, when Microsoft stops
supporting a product, you must upgrade as they will no longer provide
the codes or whatever, for you to continue using something you may like
but which is no longer profitable enough for them.

Paul Magill.