VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nelson Blachman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nelson Blachman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 22:49:28 -0700
Overview of our accessible
services<http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/07/overview-of-our-accessible-services.html>
 7/10/2007 02:30:00 PM
Posted by T.V. Raman, Research Scientist
From time to time, our own T.V.
Raman<http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/raman/>shares his tips on how
to use Google from his perspective as a technologist
who cannot see -- tips that sighted people, among others, may also find
useful. - Ed.

We provide a wide variety of services that are mostly accessed with a web
browser. People visit Google from a large number of browsers and platforms;
in addition, we also understand that *every* user is special and may have
special needs. Accessibility at Google is about making sure that our
services work well for *all* our users -- independent of your needs and
abilities at any given time.

Web search, our primary service, has a very simple interface and has always
been accessible from a variety of user environments. Newer services that
present highly interactive interfaces continue to present accessibility
challenges when used with specialized adaptive technologies such as
screenreaders. We are committed to finding accessibility solutions that make
our services work better for everyone who visits.

Here's a list of our accessibility-related services and a few solutions to
some accessibility challenges.
<http://www.google.com/>

   - Web Search <http://www.google.com/>: Result pages include headers to
   delineate logical sections.
   <http://labs.google.com/accessible>
   - Accessible Search <http://labs.google.com/accessible>: Promotes
   results that are accessible.
   <http://books.google.com/books>
   - Book Search <http://books.google.com/books>: Full-text access to
   public-domain works.
   <h/>
   - Gmail <h/>: A simple yet functional HTML mode that works well with
   screenreaders.
   <x/>
   - Gmail Mobile <x/>: A lightweight user interface that is also
   speech-friendly.
   <http://maps.google.com/?output=html>
   - Google Maps <http://maps.google.com/?output=html>: Easy-to-use
   textual directions.
   <https://www.google.com/calendar/m?output=xhtml>
   - Calendar <https://www.google.com/calendar/m?output=xhtml>: A
   functional, yet speech-friendly user interface.

   <http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/11/audio-captchas-when-visual-images-are.html>
   - Audio