VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sun Sounds of Arizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sun Sounds of Arizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2008 09:32:40 -0700
I've been using System Access, and it's companion software SATOGO for about
six months now.  I personally haven't found it clunky though not as fully
developed as JAWS.  I think SATOGO is heads and shoulders above Thunder
which I tried and discarded very quickly.  JAWS is still my primary screen
reader because of this.  However, SATOGO has some distinct advantages.  For
one thing, the learning curve is much less than JAWS, and it's also much
easier to install and get working properly.  It works adequately with all
the MS Office aps, has a few capabilities that JAWS does not have at all.  I
think for the extra capability you have to buy the paid version, but even at
that, it's only about a third of the price of JAWS.  The extras to which I
refer are these:

*  It has the ability to create either a CD/ROM or be installed on a USB3
Thumb Drive  and it will bring up any XP or Vista computer from no speech to
speech automatically.  I've tried it, it is really amazing.  You plug it in,
and in maybe 30 seconds, or a bit more, the computer begins to talk and get
you set up.  JAWS cannot do this without a lot of troublesome prep, and then
it won't always work.  When you unplug the drive, the computer completely
reverts back to it's normal state.  This is great for borrowing a computer
which isn't yours.  The SATOGO version also can do this.

*  It enables you to use a feature much like Remote Desktop to control your
home or work computer remotely.  I, for instance, can be working at home,
and need an application or file on my work computer.  With just a couple of
key strokes, I can log into my work computer, and not just copy files, but
actually use the applications on my work computer, from home.  I find this
really cool, and sometimes very useful.  It can use the screen reader
resident on the remote computer, or use it's own speech as you choose.

On the minus side:

*  The voice is apparently DEC Talk which is a bit less up to date and
pleasant than Eloquence, but still very usable.

*  The means of reviewing the screen is a bit unusual.  You must go into a
mouse mode which isn't as fully functional as the JAWS cursor is.

* It doesn't seem to support legacy DOS applications running under windows
as JAWS can.

All that said, the price is certainly right.  If a person is planning to do
mostly email, web surfing, and standard office applications, it is not only
adequate, but easy to use and inexpensive or free.

Just my two cents.
Bill