VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 08:38:32 -0500
On Sat, 17 Oct 1998, Albert Essandoh wrote:

Albert: I have been a silent listener in this group because I am not visually
Albert: impaired but I mentioned earlier on that I was working to set up a few
Albert: visually impaired organizations on the internet.

All are welcome to join and participate on this list and network with blind
computer users at various groups.  to make technology access for the blind
person, all must come together--blind computer users, teachers for the
blind, disabled student service coordinators, rehabilitation counselors,
and others to turn the vision into something real and worthwhile.

Albert: I just got funding to purchase two computers and I intend
Albert: to make them join your group.

congratulations!!  We will look forward to their participation.

Albert: I will kindly ask from you again what software I need and where I can
Albert: purchase them from, as I assume you use the regular computers etc.

Yes, nearly all of us use off the shelf pc's that we then adapt for
access.  One e-mail message cannot give a comprehensive overview of this
topic.  I would suggest starting out with the Project EASI web site at
http://www.rit.edu/~easi where you will find handbooks, manuals on
computer accommodation, guides, and even whole books online.  Look in the
publications section as well as the resources section for this material.

If you are looking for a comprehensive list of hardware and software for
blind computing, the national federation of the blind's technology center
has just updated its list.  go to http://www.nfb.org and click on the
technology section.

Also, check out my article on how to choose adapted technology.  You can
find it at Jamal's web site.  the exact url is
http://www.empowermentzone.com/atchoice.txt

If you have used these resources and have not found them helpful, please
let us know.

kelly