VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Mary P.Blanton" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 22:11:27 -0500
Mary,

Not all Latch Hook kits rely on just painted canvas.  Some use printed
patterns.  Just HOW Legally Blind are you?  I have a piece of software that
allows the creation of Cross Stitch patterns.  It can be used for Latch Hook
patterns.  If you can see well enough that an enlarged pattern using either
Black and White symbols, Colored Symbols, Colored Stitches (Colored 'X''s,
since it IS software patterns.), Colored Symbols, Colored Blocks AND Virtual
Symbols, and Virtual Stitches, I would be MORE than willing to help you.  (I
can send you a sample of each of the above mentioned Stitch Display Type as
well as various "Grid Squares Per Inch" mentioned next. It also allows a great
deal of fexablity in the number of "Grid Squares per Inch".

I have taken a finished needlepoint chair cover for my mother and entered the
stitches into the program so she could make an exact duplicate, stitch for
stitch for the rest of her Dining Room chairs.

If we could work something out so you could see the pattern, I would be happy
to take the original printed pattern, sent by mail from you, arrange with the
designer to copy the pattern for YOU AND ONLY YOU, without violating their
copyright, enter the pattern into my software and send the original and the
enlarged pattern back to you.  I have found MOST craft designers are VERY
cooperative when it is explained that the copy is being made to allow a
disabled person to do the kit / pattern.

Doing this with a kit that ONLY contains a pre-printed pattern is MUCH more
difficult for me because I am extraordinarily Light Sensitive (Genetic
Bilateral Colobomas of the Iris and lens, Congenital Nystagmus and a developing
Cataract on my right eye.) and therefore have trouble distinguishing similar
shades of the same color.  My dear, sweet, ever so understanding husband helps
me.  But, i would feel like I would be imposing on his already diminishing free
time, so...  (He, like me is a Software Engineer and is now the "Guru / Geek"
of his company.  He has turned into the "GoTo Guy" if something is
exceptionally dificult or is needed YESTERDAY.  And with me being unemployed,
he is working as hard as he can, so he does NOT lose his job.  We are also
partialy supporting his parents financially, ALL on HIS income.)

Mary Blanton (Obsessive Counted Cross Stitcher and Needlepointer and Unemployed
Software Engineer.)