VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jim Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 2020 11:36:12 -0400
Hi Elena,

No, most of us have torn out all of our hair over computer frustrations!  Mine is still there; but,
has gotten more grey, with an ever-decreasing amount of brown.

Actually, I started programming in 1968, using what was at the time the largest mainframe in Canada.
It was an IBM 360-65, with 256 KB RAM.  this computer took up about 5,000 sq. ft.  In 1969, I
started working on the "then" largest computer in Canada, another IBM 360-??, with a 1 MB RAM, which
grew to 2 MB after 2 years.  We now have very small "personal" devices with several MB of RAM and
larger!  And, they can easily fit in our hands.  Ain't technology wonderful?

Things got much easier in 1984, with my first "talking computer", which was a modified HP 125 (the
Maryland I.T.S.), using the CPM operating system.  In the late '80s, and being the only person in my
office with a PC on my desk, I was the "go to guy" for DOS questions, until the early '90s.  Then,
Windows hit, and my reign was over!  Oh well, nothing lasts forever!  :)  :)

By the way, I am certain that others on this listserv have been working on, or using computers for
longer than that.  In fact, I wonder if someone has done a "history" of computer use by
blind/visually-impaired people, perhaps NFB, or APH.

Cheers, and stay safe!

Jim H