VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jamal Mazrui <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 07:48:45 +0400
 (c) 1998 Baltimore Sun. All rights reserved.
 Kenneth Jernigan, 71, advocate for the blind
 The Baltimore Sun
  (BS)
  - Wednesday October 14, 1998
 By: Ernest F. Imhoff SUN STAFF
 Edition: F
   Section: News (Local)
   Page: 5B
 Word Count: 630

 MEMO:
    TYPE OF MATERIAL: OBITUARY

 TEXT:
 Kenneth  Jernigan,  a  relentless fighter for blind people around the
world
 and president of the Baltimore-based National Federation of the Blind
(NFB)
 from  1968 to 1986, died of lung cancer Monday night at his Irvington
home.
 He was 71.

   During  his leadership, the federation became the nation's most
powerful
 organization  of  blind  people. Its affiliates increased from 32 states
 50, Puerto Rico and District of Columbia, while membership grew to
50,000.

   Euclid  Herie  of Toronto, president of the World Blind Union, for
which
 Mr.  Jernigan  served  as president of the North American-Caribbean
Region,
 said:

   'Dr. Jernigan influenced the lives of blind persons throughout the
world
 for  more  than a half-century. He fought for their inclusion in
education,
 employment and culture. His name will be remembered alongside Louis
Braille
 as one of the most influential leaders in the blindness movement.'

   Braille  (1809-1852)  invented  the  system  of raised dots
representing
 letters  that are read by touch. The system has been in declining use
since
 World War II.

   But  Mr. Jernigan said that since November, when doctors told him he
had
 lung  cancer  and  about  a  year to live, he had been eager to work on
pet
 projects:  a  proposed $12 million National Research and Training
Institute
 for  the Blind at NFB headquarters planned for completion in 2002 and a
new
 national hiring program involving United Parcel Service.
   'I  have  no  complaints  in  my  life,'  he said. 'I go contented.
I've
 enjoyed my life. I love my friends and those who may have disliked me.'

   Mr.  Jernigan's  wife  of  14 years, Mary Ellen Osborn Jernigan, and
his
 daughter,  Marie Cobb, also of Baltimore, were at his bedside when he
died,
 said Mark Maurer, who succeeded Jernigan as NFB president.

   'Dr.  Jernigan  changed  our  lives  and gave us all hope when there
was
 none,' said Mr. Maurer.

   After  high school, Mr. Jernigan built furniture and managed a
furniture
 shop  in  Beech  Grove, Tenn. He taught English at the Tennessee School
for
 the Blind in Nashville from 1949 to 1953.

   After  the  federation  moved  from Des Moines to Baltimore in 1978,
Mr.
 Jernigan  supervised  the  renovation  of  an  old  factory that became
the
 National Center for the Blind at 1800 Johnson Street in South Baltimore.

   He developed the Braille and Technology Center there in 1990,
containing
 what  NFB  says  is  more  state-of-the  art  equipment  for the blind
than
 anywhere.  He  organized  a  national  Braille literacy campaign in 1992
 promote Braille with laws in 30 states favoring its use.

   Mr.  Jernigan  founded  the  National  Newsline  for  the Blind in
1994,
 allowing  blind  people  to  hear  daily newspapers such as The Sun read
in
 synthesized speech over the telephone.

   He  wrote  more  than  100  articles  and  speeches,  edited the
Braille
 Monitor,  the largest-circulation journal in the blindness field, from
1978
 to 1993, and also edited the federation's large type Kernel Book series.

   One  of  his  last  times  away from home was at the Canadian Embassy
in
 Washington  last month when he was given an international leadership
honor,
 the Winston Gordon Award, for giving blind people 'measurable
independence'
 through Newsline.
    'The   real   problem   of  blindness  is  not  loss  of  eyesight,
but
 misunderstanding  and  lack of information,' Mr. Jernigan said. 'If a
blind
 person has proper training and opportunity, blindness can be reduced to
the
 level of a physical nuisance.'

   He was a communicant of St. Joseph's Passionist Monastery Roman
Catholic
 Church.  A  Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow
at
 the church on Old Frederick Road and Monastery Avenue.

   In  addition  to his wife and his daughter, he is survived by a
brother,
 Lloyd   Jernigan,   of  Dearborn,  Mich.;  three  grandchildren;  and
four
 great-grandchildren.
   More obituaries next page

   Pub Date: 10/14/98