VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Judi Piscitello <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Judi Piscitello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 11:23:32 -0500
Hi Amy and Cynthia,

My husband is totally blind and he taught me how to use my phone, which
is the same model as yours.  If you can find the voice setup menu, it
talks you through itself to "train" the phone to recognize your voice.
Once it recognizes your voice and you have programmed in some names and
phone numbers, you press the bottom button on the left side of the
phone, and it will say, "please say a command."  One example of a
command might be "Contacts."  Wait until after you hear the beep at the
end of her statement.  Then you say, "Contacts."  The phone will then
respond, "Please say a name."  Again, once you have programmed in a
number of names and phone numbers, you can say one of the names in your
phone contacts list.  The phone will ask for verification, "Did you say,
Charlie's cell?"  And you answer "yes" or "no" accordingly.  If you
answer "yes" it will call Charlie's cell phone number.  If you answer
"no" it will ask you another name on your contacts list until you get
the one you want or press the end key and start over.

I encourage you to play around with the phone - it can't hurt it.  The
Verizon folks in our local office have also been very helpful.  Good
luck!

- Judi

>>> Amy Berger <[log in to unmask]> 01/11/05 10:53AM >>>
I have the same phone with limited success.  It does not talk very much
and
if you find a way to have it talk to you then please share with the
rest of
us.
Amy
At 09:24 AM 1/11/2005 -0500, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>I just got a new Verizon cell phone, model LG VX4500.  I can talk to
it but
>apparently need to memorize the menus and use the "talk to" features.
>Should it talk to me?  Am I missing some software?
>
>Any information would be appreciated!
>
>Cynthia
>

>VICUG-L is the Visually Impaired Computer User Group List.
>To join or leave the list, send a message to
>[log in to unmask]  In the body of the message, simply
type
>"subscribe vicug-l" or "unsubscribe vicug-l" without the quotations.
>http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/vicug-l.html

'WE MUST BE THE CHANGE WE WISH
TO SEE IN THE WORLD' ~ Gandhi
Amy L. Berger
U.S. Geological Survey, Section 508 Coordinator
12201 Sunrise Valley Drive, MS 807
Reston, VA  20192
                         (703)648-7124