VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 20:54:31 -0600
The Dailey herald is a newspaper for suburban Chicago. Wauconda is a far
northwest suburb of chicago very close to the wisconsin border.

kelly

Tuesday October 24 10:15 AM EDT
Visually impaired Wauconda teenagers picked to play in national tournament
By Kate Grusich Daily Herald Staff Writer

Amanda Dobner and Lindsay Sloan are outgoing and active Wauconda High
School students.

While Dobner lists swimming, yearbook and painting as some of her hobbies,
Sloan enjoys horseback riding and track.

One difference distinguishes the two friends from the rest of their high
school classmates, however.

They are both legally blind.

Even more impressive, they were selected to compete in Florida this week in
the National Youth Goalball Championships.

"I'm excited and scared," said Dobner, a 17-year-old senior. "It's really
competitive and we'll be playing teams from all over North America and Europe."

Goalball, similar to hockey and soccer, is a unique indoor team sport for
visually impaired athletes and involves a ball filled with bells.

A popular Paralympic sport, goalball has been around since World War II
when it was established in Eastern Europe for blind veterans returning from
the war.

To play, teams of three players take the floor against each other and
attempt to throw a ball into their opposing team's goal.

Sloan said the teams play on a court with tactile markings, helping
athletes determine their court positions through their hands and feet. The
ball can be located by hearing the bells inside. Finally, all the players
have to be blindfolded so those with poor vision are not playing against
athletes who are totally blind.

Dobner and Sloan were both born blind. They can see some shapes and
movements, and with assistance, also can participate in traditional school
activities.

They said learning mobility skills was initially a struggle.

Sports have become a saving grace for the two.

"Being this active has really been good for me," said Dobner. "I've become
more involved in different things and I've made a lot of friends."

Dobner was recently named most improved all-around athlete at Great Lakes
Adaptive Sports Association, a not-for-profit group that provides
recreational opportunities to the visually impaired in Northern Illinois.

The Wauconda duo initially got their goalball skills through the
association, but work out together to keep sharp.

Cindy Housner, director of the Great Lakes association, said the two
Wauconda teens are prime examples of how sports can benefit visually
impaired people.

"Sports can really help combat isolation and depression and build
self-esteem," Housner said. "Amanda and Lindsay are both motivated, smart
and driven students. I know in Amanda's case, the activities have given her
much more confidence, and not just in sports."

After surviving an elimination round at a Michigan camp for blind athletes,
the two Wauconda teens were selected with four other girls to represent the
Michigan Blind Athletic Association in the Florida tournament, running
Thursday through Sunday.

Another Lake County girl, Jackie Barnes of Vernon Hills, was chosen as an
alternate, but will not be going to Florida with her two Wauconda teammates.

"We were picked out of a group of about 100 girls," said Sloan, a freshman
at Wauconda who is returning to the championships for the third time.
"Amanda and I are really excited to be playing together this year."

Dobner is considering Northern Illinois University as her college of choice
next fall. She hopes to study special education or elementary education.

For the 15-year-old Sloan, whose family moved to Wauconda this year from
Barrington, Dobner has played a big role in her quick adaptation to the new
village.

"She's a senior so everyone knows her," Sloan said. "I like that this
school is smaller and because many of the teachers have worked with Amanda,
they're more understanding."