VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dorene Cornwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2011 20:56:20 -0500
This is a really interesting discussion.

I do not know enough about the publishing business to know whether the
issue is only the Authors Guild. I know a couple people who have
recently published books and they complain that to distribute their
books through Amazon means extremely low return per copy sold. That's
kind of a big barrier probably for, say poetry books that are only
going to sell a few hundred or at best a few thousand copies. If the
author self-publishes and handles distribution themselves, they bypass
Amazon. Too bad for blind people but better for authors, and I
generally support authors being able to earn decent returns for their
efforts. Someone I know is doing a second edition of her poetry book
that includes a CD of her reading it.

I think Ana's point about print books being easily handed about,
shared, etc is interesting and I agree. Why SHOULDN'T blind people be
able to do something equivalent?

I suppose the out of print issue is another angle: if the world is a
brave new massive global databank, then theoretically "out of print"
might not have to exist. One could, say, pay some "archive access fee"
and get access to anyting in the databank, no matter how old. That
supposes a level of database maintenance that is different from the
individual copy preservation aspects of printed books, but it is an
interesting exercise to think about what this might look like.

I am trying to imagine some things about libraries under these
circumstances: would it be better with more universal service to ensure
that people have their own devices without having to go to libraries?

Enough ponderings for now.

DoreneC

Finally, the human vs machine speech: how many people read human speech
highly speeded up. I actually kind of like options for reading and
spelling out things at a word level. I am also not the best judge of
human vs machine reading: I have a slight predisposition for machine
speech, but I think that is partly because I have come into it pretty
late in the game when there are a number of decent options in the
machine speech area.