VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2022 20:50:17 -0700
Hi All,

I sometimes run NVDA from a thumb drive at work, and all is good. My
problem is that I'm not sure how to stop using NVDA. I'll describe what
I do. I'm hoping for help doing it better.

1. When I finish working, I press NVDA+q to quit the screen reader, then
enter to confirm. I hear the NVDA shutdown earcon, and speech stops.

2. I press ctrl+Windows+enter to start Narrator.

3. I navigate to the thumb drive in This PC.

4. I press the context key, down-arrow to Eject, and press enter.

5. I get a window telling me that the file is in use. It prompts me to
Cancel, Retry, or Continue, bearing in mind that I may lose unsaved work
if I select Continue. I press enter on Continue anyway.

At the end of Step 5, my expectation is that I'll hear the disconnect
chime and get a popup telling me I can remove my thumb drive. That
doesn't happen, even if I spend a few minutes before Step 4 closing down
other programs, etc. Pressing enter on Try Again in Step 5 doesn't help,
and neither does cancelling and starting over from Step 3. I wind up
just pulling the thumb drive out and obsessing about whether I've broken
it this time.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any wisdom.

Ciao