VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2013 09:08:35 -0800
Someone posted something to the list recently about a device that helps
you print from an iPhone.

When I was shopping for my new printer, some of the units included
printing from cell phone as a feature. The one I bought, which I haven't
set up yet, includes this. Based on the flier at the store, it sounds
like there might be a special app. both Android and iPhone were
mentioned, but because I haven't read the literature, I don't know how
it works.

I'm going to explain the next part very badly because I'll be talking
about how I understood things, not how things really are, but here goes ....

What I learned from one of my many trips through the web is that the
thing that tells the printer what to print is sometimes located in the
computer and sometimes in the printer itself. So if you have a home
network and the thing that commands the printer is on a computer, then
that computer needs to be turned on for you to print from any other
device on your network. but if the thing that commands the printer is on
the printer itself, then you can print from any device on your network
without worrying about whether a particular device is on. You're more
likely to be able to print from a cell phone if the printer has the
power to command such things.

I know this doesn't help.

Archived on the World Wide Web at
    Signoff: [log in to unmask]