VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Clever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Clever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 14:36:34 -0400
OK listers, Zoomtext 8.03 does NOT contain spyware. After posting my
original message to another list, I now understand what is going on.

Read on, if you are a technical type. To recap, I used a network sniffer and
saw that Zoomtext was transmitting a clear text packet containing user info.
I then used an "IP whois" tool and it reported that the IP address in
question was a server on MCI's network. This info was erroneous. After using
another "whois" tool, it reported this address is part of a network IP block
dedicated to RFC 3171 (multicast). These packets should not leave a LAN if
it is properly configured. Therefore, user info does not reach the internet.
The packets generated by Zoomtext are used to insure license compliance.

Thanks to everyone whom responded.