VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Paul Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 05:33:59 -0500
Google, per the Boston Globe link and excerpt below, plans complete,
accurate electronic text.
 - Adonna
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/12/14/google_to_index_works_at_harvard_other_major_libraries/?rss_id=BostonGlobeFrontPage

The company must use electronic scanners to capture digital images of every
page. These images must then be run through "optical character reader"
software, which can recognize the letters and convert them into electronic
text. Because the software is imperfect, human proofreaders must go over the
results. Then these billions of pages must be indexed, word by word, and the
results made available for searching on the Internet.