VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 1997 16:14:45 -0600
Hello,

I thought I would share some advocacy work that I have been doing in the
past few weeks.  the American Printing House for the blind recently made
available on the Internet a catalog of books from more than 200 agencies
for the blind.  these agencies are not listed in the Union catalog of
the National Library Service.  the two catalogs taken together now
constitute nearly all of the books recorded and braille transcribed in
the United States.  There is just one problem with the catalog at the
printing house:  it doesn't work with Lynx, the most commonly used web
browser by the blind.   here is the message I sent out earlier this week
and the e-mail between me and Christine Anderson of the printing house.

kelly

Today, Monday, I spoke to Christine Anderson at the American
Printing House for the Blind in Louisville regarding its new web-
based catalog that is not compatible and accessible with most
versions of Lynx.  What is not disclosed on the APH web site
)http://www.aph.org) is that the Printing House had gone through
a year long selection process in choosing software that would be
compatible with Lynx and other software predominately used by
blind persons.  Blind APH staff members tried all of the software
under consideration, rejecting many because of access issues.
During this process the selected software was used with Lynx and
it preformed flawlessly.  From then until now, both Lynx and the
searching software underwent two upgrades.  Apparently, changes
in both programs exacerbated a bug that was later discovered in
Lynx, which has since been corrected.  Unfortunately, the
searching software is not backward compatible with older versions
of Lynx.  With technology changing so  rapidly, this is an
example of how even with the best intentions and a process in
place to test and choose technology that is accessible, one may
end up with a result that is not accessible.  While the Printing
House could switch searching software, the situation is not so
easy.  What is now on the Internet used to be a fee-based service
available only to agencies, principally because of the cost of
access.  In terms of increasing usability, prices were lowered to
$90 a year for individuals.  This year the database of books
produced by more than 200 organizations, few on the Union catalog
of NLS, was placed on the internet via the world wide web.  The
software had to work with data structures that the users and end
agencies want that is also current.  For example, the National
Library Service for the Blind uses a system designed in the
1970s.  Hence importation of NLS data is difficult to impossible
with modern systems.  After a certain point in the technology
selection process, there is no turning back, as deadlines
approach and costs mount.  That is because one must design
relational databases around the one that was selected and data
must be compiled to meet the needs of the chosen product.  After
a certain point, there is more, much more, than removing one
piece of software and installing another.  To change now would be
a time consuming and expensive process.

Christine Anderson said, "On that Friday in mid-October at 5:00
when I learned that the catalog did not work with Lynx, I nearly
vomited.  I had spent years, since 1992, working to bring APH
products and services closer and closer to the actual blind
person in the community and now that wasn't going to be
possible."

The software that is being offered free is a version of Commo,
authered by Fred Brucker, that has a searching capability that
will work with the aph database.  It is pre-configured and comes
with an automatic install program, so following long sets of
instructions is not necessary.  The reason it is not available on
the web is because aph must licensed each user and offering
support to users is easier when one knows who they are.  The
reason why the catalog is not available like a BBS  system, like
most other library catalogs where specialized software is not
needed for the end user, is because the Printing House is
actually providing access to its former dial-in service, which
shipped software to users.  The intent is that this is only a
transitional measure for the next year or so until Internet
access is fully available to blind end users.  The long range
goal is to move all users to the Internet catalog, so putting
resources into the dial-in service to be more usable is not
productive.

The long range vision is to create a one-stop shop for all the
creators of materials in accessible formats in the United States
and Canada.  Currently the National Library Service for the
Blind's catalog of titles is not on the APH catalog.  this is
because of data formatting incompatibilities.  Within the next
three years, NLS will be moving to a new system and reformatting
its data.  At that time, full integration will be achieved and
the blind end-user will be able to locate within seconds the
availability of a recorded or braille book.

Is my acceptance being reasonable or selling out?  I believe that
it is the first.  I was highly critical of the Printing House at
first because I based my assessment of its efforts for access
solely from what it published on its web site.  Unfortunately,
this did not tell the full story, as described here.  I
encouraged Christine Anderson today to describe and explain
efforts, to aid the end user in learning about the decision-
making process and how things came to be.  I explained to her
that many people with disabilities have had experiences with
large agencies that have been less than positive and were often
provided vague and general responses that often said something
similar to "we are concerned and care" while in the end not
providing the tools for the blind end user to be independent.  I
explained my skeptical was based on my experience as the public
statement on the web site lack significant details that would
allow me to understand the agency's position and evaluate the
problem.  In my opinion, the Printing House did what could be
reasonably be done in ensuring access, managing a large project
to completion, and working to correct the problem once it was
discovered.  Additionally, this is not a legal issue.  If the ADA
were to apply, and no court in America has considered the issue
of online services, the process used in product selection and
evaluation and the alternatives available for the end user now
would greatly mitigate any claim of web inaccessibility.  For
example, people can even call on the printing house's toll-free
800 number for a catalog search.  Eventually, as Internet Service
Providers upgrade their systems in the next year, the problem
will resolve itself.

A larger issue is the question of how someone should determine if
web tools are accessible.  Access to technology is a balance
between several factors.  Changes in this balance can quickly
make the completely accessible unavailable to people with
disabilities.  In this case, many things were done right in
considering and allowing for accessibility for the blind computer
user, but in the end these efforts failed.  Does the group have
ideas or suggestions that could aid organizations wishing to
ensure access to people with disabilities?  Specifically, could
the Printing House done some things differently?  To what lengths
should an organization go in ensuring access, considering that
budgets are not limitless and deadlines are a present reality?
Should the Printing House not have put the catalog on the web at
all until the problems were fixed or put it out so at least some
blind end users could benefit from this resource?  After having
learned more, I am satisfied with the effort and the process.  In
this era where micro-processors are doubling in speed every nine
months rather than every 18 and the whole world is running twice
as fast, is there a better way of developing and determining if
technology is accessible when apparently the best efforts that
followed much of our advice result in failure?

Kelly