VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 06:56:12 -0500
from the front page of today's New York times

      April 30, 1998

Online Trail to an Offline Killing

     [LINK] In This Article

       Self-Help Group

     Illusory Anonymity Is Seen on Internet

     Suspect Described as Introspective

   Related Article

     The Steps in a Confession: Excerpts From E-Mail

      By AMY HARMON

   B OWMAN, N.D. -- For nearly a year, Elisa DeCarlo had been logging on
   to the Internet daily to type messages to an online support group
   about her battle against alcohol. It did not matter that Ms. DeCarlo
   did not know where most of the 200 or so other members of the group
   lived, or even their names. All that mattered was that they were there
   for her, and she for them, in a fight that some days sapped all of her
   strength and sense of humor.

   But on a Monday morning, March 23, sitting in her usual bathrobe
   attire, drinking her usual cup of coffee as she scrolled through the
   previous day's E-mail, Ms. DeCarlo, a 38-year-old comedian in
   Manhattan, lost faith in her virtual community, she said in an
   interview. Along with the typical postings from members about their
   weekends was a message from a man she knew as Larry. In graphic
   detail, Larry described how in 1995 he killed his 5-year-old daughter,
   Amanda, here in the southwestern corner of North Dakota.

                    A Murder Confession on the Internet

      Excerpts from E-mail posted by Larry Froistad and another member of
             Moderation Management, a support group for problem drinkers.

                            'Amanda I Murdered'

                                          DATE: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 12:50:22
                                                TO: Moderation Management
                                                     FROM: Larry Froistad

            " ... Amanda I murdered because her mother stood between us."

                       'You Murdered Your Daughter?'

      "Okay, Larry, what do you mean, you murdered your daughter? Is this
                                  emotional hyperbole or cold fact?. . ."

                          'Listened to Her Scream'

        "...When I talk about killing my daughter, there's no imaginative
    subcomponent.... I got wickedly drunk, set our house on fire, went to
        bed, listened to her scream twice, climbed out the window and set
           about putting on a show of shock, surprise and grief to remove
           culpability from myself.... Those last two screams that I tell
     everyone saved my life--they are wounds on my soul that I can't heal
                        and that I'm sure I'm meant to carry with me...."

   In the message, posted at 12:50 P.M. on March 22, Larry recounted how,
   distraught at the end of a bitter custody dispute with his ex-wife, he
   had set fire to his home and trapped his daughter inside.

   "The conflict was tearing me apart, and the next night I let her watch
   the videos she loved all evening, and when she was asleep I got
   wickedly drunk, set our house on fire, went to bed, listened to her
   scream twice, climbed out the window and set about putting on a show
   of shock, surprise and grief to remove culpability from myself," Larry
   wrote, according to archives of the support group's E-mail, available
   to any member on the Internet.

   "Dammit, part of that show was climbing in her window and grabbing her
   pajamas, then hearing her breathe and dropping her where she was so
   she could die and rid me of her mother's interferences."

   Ms. DeCarlo said she was horrified by the E-mail message, but she grew
   further dismayed over the online debate that followed. While some
   members of the group were appalled by Larry's account, others rushed
   to his defense, trying to assure him that he was experiencing a
   fantasy driven by guilt over his divorce. Others tried to comfort him
   by telling him the crime was long past.

   It seemed to Ms. DeCarlo that the nature of online communication --
   which creates a psychological as well as physical distance between
   participants -- was causing her friends to forget their offline
   responsibilities to bring a confessed murderer to justice.

   On March 24, amid an E-mail debate known as a flame war, Ms. DeCarlo
   was one of three members of the support group to notify the
   authorities. The police here in Bowman said Larry Froistad, a
   29-year-old computer programmer living in San Diego, called them on
   March 27 and confessed. Mr. Froistad has since been extradited to
   Bowman, a town of about 1,800 people, and he is scheduled to be
   arraigned on murder charges on Friday.

   The courthouse is a few blocks from the slab of concrete and rusted
   plumbing that is all that remains of the house where his daughter died
   in a 1995 fire that was ruled accidental.

   Vincent Ross, Mr. Froistad's lawyer, said his client would plead not
   guilty. Mr. Ross said Mr. Froistad, who worked for the Sony
   Corporation, might have been taking antidepressants at the time of the
   March 22 posting on the Internet. Mr. Ross suggested that he might
   dispute the validity of the E-mail and challenge its use as evidence.

   "Any statements that Mr. Froistad allegedly made have to be taken in
   light of his mental condition," Mr. Ross said, "and certainly there is
   no evidence that Mr. Froistad killed his daughter."

   For many of those who knew Mr. Froistad through the ether, his
   unbidden declaration is testimony to cyberspace's singular capacity to
   invoke trust among strangers. But the E-mail transcripts in the wake
   of the confession also provide a glimpse into the interpersonal and
   moral predicaments raised at a time when an increasing amount of
   social interaction is taking place in electronic arenas, devoid of
   cues like tone of voice and facial expression, and structured around
   their own sets of rules and mores.

   "My position here is that we, as a list, have two responsibilities
   here -- to ourselves as members of this list community and to the
   larger community beyond," read an E-mail on March 26 by Frederick
   Rotgers, a psychologist who helped found the support group two years
   ago.

   "That may sound radical to some, but I believe it is an essential
   feature of the Internet, and one that we must protect if it is to
   continue to be a source of great support for people who are in need."

   Dr. Rotgers said he had not notified the law-enforcement authorities
   after being informed that someone else in the group already had,
   because "since the child was already 'dead' no purpose would be served
   in the form of protecting anyone for rash, emotional and poorly
   thought-out action."

   Self-Help Group for Problem Drinkers

   D r. Rotgers administers the group, known as the M.M. List, as a
   volunteer for Moderation Management, a nonprofit self-help
   organization based in Woodinville, Wash., for people who consider
   themselves problem drinkers but not alcoholics. He is director of the
   program for Addictions, Consultation and Treatment at Rutgers
   University.

   Rather than turn Larry over to the police, Dr. Rotgers said he had
   sent private E-mail to him with referrals to therapists near San
   Diego.

   "I had no basis for knowing whether it was true or not," he said in an
   interview. "Neither did anyone else on the list."

   Many on the M.M. List said they believed that Larry was simply
   expressing his desire to be punished for surviving a horrible
   accident. Perhaps, as he himself suggested in later postings and then
   discounted, he had unconsciously invented a false memory. Others said
   he might have done it, but that their role as a support group was not
   to judge. The few who disagreed became the target of often vicious
   "flame" attacks.

   On the evening of March 22, a few hours after Larry's initial posting,
   one participant wrote: "Oh, man, you are really challenging me. It
   would be O.K. if you would just go away. This is just repulsive stuff
   and I just can't deal with you. I personally will not read a post by
   you again. You do not deserve anything!"

   Someone else quickly responded: "To me, YOUR post is completely
   unacceptable, especially in this forum. I am repulsed by YOUR post."

   Jim Shirk, of Bremerton, Wash., said he had notified the Federal
   Bureau of Investigation. When news of Larry's arrest reached the
   group, one member called for the informers to come forward. Mr. Shirk,
   59, who said he had been sober for 19 years and is a licensed
   chemical-dependency counselor, sent the member a private E-mail
   explaining his desire to remain anonymous.

   Instead, the member posted the E-mail to the whole list, and sent Mr.
   Shirk private E-mail back: "Just how big a pervert are you? I bet you
   really get off talking to the F.B.I. Wow. Did you ask them if you
   could see their guns?"

   Others accused Mr. Shirk, a proponent of the Alcoholics Anonymous
   approach to treating addiction, which calls for total abstinence, of
   using the incident to tarnish the reputation of Moderation Management.

   "You get a gut feeling for what's real and what isn't and it struck me
   as very frightening," Mr. Shirk said in a phone interview. "What
   really scared me was the part after he described everything he did,
   where he says he wants another family. I felt both professionally
   ethically and personally ethically that I had to do something."

   Some members simply wanted to get back to the purpose of the group.

   "Can we please talk about drinking? I need your help here," read one
   posting a week into the exchange.

   Illusory Anonymity Is Seen on Internet

   S ome longtime Internet users have been communing in disembodied form
   for years, with the ups and downs any real-life communities naturally
   experience. On-line services like Echo Communications in New York and
   The WELL in Sausalito, Calif., which serve as gathering places for
   hundreds of discussion topics have weathered many a flame war, as have
   Internet news groups.

   "You do not transform when you log on," said Stacy Horn, author of

   "Cyberville" (Warner Books, 1998), a book about Echo, which she
   founded. Ms. Horn recalled that when one veteran member declared that
   he was a Nazi, and offended many others with his anti-Semitic
   postings, Ms. Horn required him to start his own topic area. People
   flocked there, virtually, to argue with him.

   The Froistad case is not without its offline version. In 1994, Paul
   Cox was convicted of manslaughter in the murder of a couple in
   Larchmont, N.Y. Members of an Alcoholics Anonymous group testified
   that Mr. Cox had told them that he thought he might have killed the
   couple in an alcohol-induced blackout in 1988.

   Experts who study the sociology of cyberspace say the intersection of
   the confidentiality ethic of self-help groups, and the sometimes
   illusory anonymity of online communion, can make for particularly
   difficult situations. Among those in the M.M. support group, a
   frequent source of controversy has been that participants can drink
   and post simultaneously -- as many believe Larry was doing that
   Sunday. Spouses have been known to subscribe under a false name to
   maintain their privacy themselves or, some have said, to keep track of
   the other.

   Yet the combination is also what has made the global computer network
   such a boon to people seeking support on a wide range of issues, from
   cancer patients to senior citizens to gay teen-agers.

   "People will reveal more online than they might in person," said Sara
   Kiesler, a professor at the Institute for Human Computer Interaction
   at Carnegie Mellon University. "Psychologically, economically and in
   every other way, it's cheap talk, people really enjoy it, and it feels
   safe too. You're just talking to the screen. Sometimes people get
   oblivious to the dangers and they say things they wouldn't have said
   otherwise."

   That may or may not help explain the question that still looms in the
   minds of many of Larry Froistad's online and offline friends.

   "What I can't get out of the thing is why would a guy up and write
   something like that on the Internet?" said Rodney Redetzke, 35, a
   mechanic in Bowman who helped Mr. Froistad tear down the remains of
   his house after the fire.

   While Bowman's police chief, Don Huso, reopened the investigation into
   the fire after hearing from Ms. DeCarlo, he did not issue an arrest
   warrant until Mr. Froistad called him directly five days after his
   disturbing Internet posting.

   "He said, "Don, I set the fire,'" said Mr. Huso, whose only other
   contact with Mr. Froistad was several years ago when he had to tell
   him it was against city ordinances to raise rabbits in his backyard.
   "The memories I have of this is that I did it to destroy Amanda."

   According to the E-mail transcripts and the criminal case file, Mr.
   Froistad called Mr. Huso the day after Dr. Rotgers, the psychologist,
   posted to the E-mail list that someone had gone to the police.

   If convicted, Mr. Froistad faces life in prison.

   Suspect Described as Introspective

   R esidents here remember him as an introspective computer enthusiast
   smarter than everyone else. In a town where any straying from the norm
   is regarded with a certain suspicion, neighbors described him as
   different.

   "Larry was the kind of guy you could ask him a question and he'd come
   back and answer you with another question," said Mr. Redetzke, the
   mechanic. 'My wife would always say, 'Larry, come down to our level!'"

   The son of a Naval Reserve officer, Mr. Froistad also joined the
   Reserves after his divorce from his wife, Ann, in 1990. He returned to
   Bowman two years later and fought and gained custody of Amanda. The
   thick divorce file contains a report from a psychologist who
   interviewed Amanda in those years.

   Reached in Rapid City, S.D., Ann, who has remarried, declined to
   comment on the case.

   Among those in the M.M. support group, the furor has largely died
   down. Its postings are now from people seeking advice on how to get
   through their 30-day abstinence periods and querying the meaning of
   alcoholism.

   Audrey Kishline, the founder of Moderation Management, said the group
   was considering not maintaining archives of the E-mail conversations,
   and issuing a more strongly worded notice to new subscribers that
   their words, once released on to the Internet, can never be considered
   completely confidential.

   But Ms. DeCarlo, the comedian, said she now attended only face-to-face
   meetings of the chapter she leads in New York.

   "Ultimately, we are alone," she said. "The closeness is for the most
   part illusory. If Larry walked into a room, I wouldn't know him. On
   line, they're just words on a screen.