VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ray Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ray Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:02:32 -0500
Hi Lisa:

A few thoughts come to mind.  First, you said that you installed Java.
With Java you probably got something called the Google Tool Bar.  If you
did, go into your add/remove programs off the control panel, arrow down
to check if Google Tool Bar is there and if it is, tab over to the
change/remove or remove button and hit enter on it to remove Google Tool
Bar.  Google Tool Bar is a pest in my opinion and one doesn't need it.

Next thing.  What program are you running to check for Spyware and
Malware?  I'm suspecting if you are running something you haven't
scanned your computer with it in a while, nor have you updated it
because a classic symptom of having Spyware and Malware is that the
computer becomes sluggish.

Third, have you done a registry cleanup lately?  I thinki that Ccleaner
program is pretty accessible and could be used for this.

Finally, you said the computer is a few years old.  How much memory does
it have in it?  Ideally, you should have 1GB of RAM in order to run XP,
Window-Eyes and your other applications.

Thanks,

Ray Campbell, Help Desk Technician
Adaptive Technology Center
Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
1850 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL  60608
312-997-3651 (Voice/Relay) or
888-825-0080 (voice/Relay)