VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Camper Mick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Camper Mick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 14:56:43 -0400
If the Windows 98 'SE' is an upgrade you can. The best thing to do is
completely remove Win 95 from your system then instal the 98 SE. The
documentation that came with the 98 SE should be all you need. Before
you do this however (or ever if you do the upgrade) make sure that all
components on your system can be upgraded. I mean if you have a modem,
sound card, printer, scanner etc. The best thing to do is go to the web
site of your components and download the drivers for windows 98 se
first. Naturally save these drivers to disk. If you remove windows 95
make sure you save all the files that you want first.

To take win 95 off simply get to your 'c' prompt (not from windows
however) and type reformat c: This will completely remove everything but
the fat file from your hard drive. Then, insert your windows 98 se disk
and follow the instructions on the screen. As it finishes it's instal
will tell you 'new hard ware found' and tell you what it is going to
instal (modem, sound card, etc.). If the component you are installing
does have windows 98 drivers on the instal disk then use the disk I
mentioned before (go to the web and download the drivers) or let windows
98 find the best drivers for it on the windows 98 disk.